PhD, University of Connecticut, 2009
MA, University of Connecticut, 2006
Michelle Kaufman (she/her) is a social psychologist by training whose research focuses on how social factors contribute to health outcomes, particularly for vulnerable populations. Her work explores how gender, sexuality, race, and socio-economic status contribute to disparities in outcomes including HIV, substance use, interpersonal violence, and mental health. She designs, implements, and evaluates interventions to decrease such disparities. She has worked in many regions of the world, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and urban parts of the U.S. to understand and eradicate health disparities. Her more recent work explores how technology can be incorporated into mentoring to promote the health of adolescents and young adults.
Honors and Awards
Millersville University Young Alumni Achievement Award, 2018
Fulbright Research Fellow (Nepal), 2007-2008
Most recent publications.
- Kaufman, M. R., Bazell, A. T.,* Collaco, A.,* & Sedoc, J. (2021). “This show hits really close to home on so many levels”: An analysis of Reddit comments about HBO’s Euphoria to understand viewers’ experiences of and reactions to substance use and mental illness. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 220, 108468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108468
- Kaufman, M. R., Casella, A., Wiginton, J. M.,* Xu, W.,* DuBois, D. L., Sanders, R., Simon, J., & Levine, D. (2020). Mentoring young African American men and transgender women who have sex with men on sexual health: Formative research for an HIV mobile health intervention for mentors. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 4(12), e17317.
- Kaufman, M. R., Grilo, G.,* Williams, A. M.,* Marea, C. X.,* Fentaye, F. W., Gebretsadik, L. A., & Yedenekal, S. A. (2020). The intersection of gender-based violence and risky sexual behaviour among university students in Ethiopia: A qualitative study. Psychology & Sexuality, 11(3), 198-211. doi: 10.1080/19419899.2019.1667418
- Kaufman, M. R., Dey, D.,* Crainiceanu, C., & Dredze, M. (2019). #MeToo and Google inquiries into sexual violence: A hashtag campaign can sustain information seeking. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1177/0886260519868197
- Xu, W.,* Zheng, Y., Wiginton, J. M.,* & Kaufman, M. R. (2019). Alcohol use and binge drinking among men who have sex with men in China: Prevalence and correlates. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 202, 61-68. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2019.04.006
See all publications by Michelle R. Kaufman