MS, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2012
I am a statistical consultant with the Biostatistics Consulting Center broadly interested in applying biostatistics methods to meet and address research challenges. I've worked on many areas and phases of research, from pilot studies (HEARS Baltimore, ICES) to multi-center clinical trials (CLEAR III, MISTIE III) as well as analyses of epidemiological cohort studies (Health ABC, ARIC, BLSA). I've also written software for designing and optimizing adaptive clinical trials in collaboration with Michael Rosenblum, Jon Steingrimsson, and Adi Gherman.
My interests include applied statistics and consulting, reproducible research, statistical software and computing, clinical trials, statistical practice and the philosophy of science, best practices in quantitative research, and statistical education and literacy in the health sciences. I have collaborated with researchers in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, the Bloomberg School of Public Health, and with researchers in external organizations, including projects in gerontology, otolaryngology and audiology, neurology, infectious diseases, and diagnostic devices. I also lead the Analytic Core of the Cochlear Center for Hearing and Public Health.
Honors and Awards
2011 UMBC Probability and Statistics Day - Best Graduate Student Presentation
2010 Radiological Society of North America Trainee Research Prize
2008 UMBC Undergraduate Research Award
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4488-9799 - Selected publications:
- Reed NS, Betz J, Kendig N, Korczak M, Lin FR. Personal Sound Amplification Products vs a Conventional Hearing Aid for Speech Understanding in Noise. JAMA. 2017 Jul 4;318(1):89-90.
- Hanley DF, Lane K, McBee N, Ziai W, Tuhrim S, Lees KR, Dawson J, Gandhi D, Ullman N, Mould WA, Mayo SW, Mendelow AD, Gregson B, Butcher K, Vespa P, Wright DW, Kase CS, Carhuapoma JR, Keyl PM, Diener-West M, Muschelli J, Betz JF, Thompson CB, Sugar EA, Yenokyan G, Janis S, John S, Harnof S, Lopez GA, Aldrich EF, Harrigan MR, Ansari S, Jallo J, Caron JL, LeDoux D, Adeoye O, Zuccarello M, Adams HP Jr, Rosenblum M, Thompson RE, Awad IA; CLEAR III Investigators. Thrombolytic removal of intraventricular haemorrhage in treatment of severe stroke: results of the randomised, multicentre, multiregion, placebo-controlled CLEAR III trial. Lancet. 2017 Feb 11;389(10069):603-611.
- Genther DJ, Frick KD, Chen D, Betz J, Lin FR. Association of hearing loss with hospitalization and burden of disease in older adults. JAMA. 2013 Jun 12;309(22):2322-4.
- Genther DJ, Betz J, Pratt S, Martin KR, Harris TB, Satterfield S, Bauer DC, Newman AB, Simonsick EM, Lin FR; Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Association Between Hearing Impairment and Risk of Hospitalization in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Jun;63(6):1146-52.
- Betz J, Zhuo J, Roy A, Shanmuganathan K, Gullapalli RP. Prognostic value of diffusion tensor imaging parameters in severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2012 May 1;29(7):1292-305.
See all publications by Joshua Betz