PhD, University of Science & Technology of China, 2006
MD, Anhui Medical University, 2001
Dr Hong is a molecular epidemiologist with extensive experience in epidemiology and molecular genetics. Her research interest is to integrate “multi-omics” and big data with large-scale epidemiologic studies to systematically investigate the environmental exposure, lifestyle, genetic variants, epigenetic alterations, metabolomic profiles and their interactions associated with complex child diseases, especially prematurity, allergy and asthma. She also has vast experience in data management, data analyses and data integration. Over the past 5 years, She has served as a co-investigator for multiple large-scale population studies funded by the National Institute of Health and by Health Resources and Services Administration in diverse populations, and has collaborated with multi-disciplinary investigators within the U.S and abroad. She has authored and co-authored over 80 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals, including prestigious journals such as JAMA, Nature Communication and the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunity.
Honors and Awards
2013 Best poster for Population, Family & Reproduction Health Research day
2017 Pilot study award, Hopkins Population Center
Selected publications from the last five years (selected from over 80 peer-reviewed publications)
- Zhang B*, Hong X*$, Ji H, Tang WY, Kimmel M, Ji Y, Pearson C, Zuckerman B, Surkan PJ, Wang X. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and cord blood DNA methylation: new insight on sex differences and effect modification by maternal folate levels. Epigenetics. 2018;13(5):505-518. doi: 10.1080/15592294.2018.1475978. Epub 2018 Jul 30. (* co-first author; $ corresponding author)
- Li J, Hong X, Mesiano S, Muglia LJ, Wang X, Snyder M, Stevenson DK, Shaw GM. Natural selection has differentiated the progesterone recetpor among human populations. Am J Hum Genet. 2018 Jul 5; 103(1): 45-57.
- Hong X, Hao K, Ji H, Peng S, Sherwood B, Narzo AD, Tsai HJ, Liu X, Burd I, Wang G, Ji Y, Caruso D, Mao G, Bartell TR, Zhang Z, Pearson C, Heffner L, Cerda S, Beaty TH, Fallin MD, Aviva Lee-Parritz A, Zuckerman B, Weeks DE, Wang X. Genome-wide approach identified a novel gene-maternal pre-pregnancy BMI interaction on preterm birth. Nat Commun, 2017, June 9;8:15608
- Hong X, Ladd-Acosta C, Hao K, Sherwood B, Ji H, Keet CA, Kumar R, Caruso D, Liu X, Wang G, Chen Z, Ji Y, Mao G, Walker SO, Bartell TR, Ji Z, Sun Y, Tsai HJ, Pongracic JA, Weeks DE, Wang X. Epigenome-wide association study links site-specific DNA methylation changes with cow's milk allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016 Sep; 138(3):908-911.e9.
- Hong X, Hao K, Ladd-Acosta C, Hansen KD, Tsai HJ, Liu X, Xu X, Thornton TA, Caruso D, Keet CA, Sun Y, Wang G, Luo W, Kumar R, Fuleihan R, Singh AM, Kim JS, Story RE, Gupta RS, Gao P, Chen Z, Walker S, Bartell TR, Beaty TH, Fallin MD, Schleimer R, Holt PG, Nadeau KC, Wood RA, Pongracic JA, Weeks DE, Wang X. Genome-wide Association Study of Food Allergy Identifies Peanut Allergy-Specific Susceptibility Loci and Evidence of Epigenetic Mediation in U.S. Children of European Ancestry. Nat Commun. 2015 Feb 24;6:6304.
See all publications by Xiumei Hong