PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2011
MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2008
My research focuses on health systems, as well as developing and implementing innovative approaches to measuring the burden of and preventing injury and disabilities. I hold a particular interest in developing approaches for: 1) the measurement of disability and understanding the long-term health, economic, and societal consequences of injuries; 2) enhancing the generation and use of valid and reliable data for injury prevention in low-resource settings; 3) applying novel information and communication technology approaches to injury prevention and disability; and, 4) developing sustainable capacity for research and practice in the field of injury prevention.
As director of the Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit, I lead a diverse, multidisciplinary team of faculty and scientists to identify solutions, influence policy, and advance the field of injury prevention throughout the world.
Honors and Awards
Society Membership and Leadership
Board Member, Road Traffic Injuries Research Network
Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health – Alpha Chapter, USA
Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
- Bachani AM, Galiwango E, Kadobera D, Bentley JA, Bishai D, Wegener S, Hyder AA. A new screening instrument for disability in low-income and middle-income settings: application at the Iganga-Mayuge Demographic Surveillance System (IM-DSS), Uganda. BMJ Open. 2014 Dec 19;4(12):e005795.
- Bachani AM, Zia, N., Hung, Y.W., Adetunji, R., Cuong, P.V., Faried, A., Jiwattanakulpaisarn, P. and Hyder, A.A. Speeding in urban South East Asia: Results from a multi-site observational study. Journal of the Australasian College of Road Safety. 2017 28(2), 27-35.
- Bachani AM, Paichadze N, Bentley JA, Tumwesigye NM, Bishai D, Atuyambe L, Wegener S, Guwatudde D, Kobusingye OC, Hyder AA. Postgraduate training for trauma prevention, injury surveillance and research, Uganda. Bull World Health Organ. 2018 Jun 1;96(6):423-427. doi: 10.2471/BLT.17.200949. Epub 2018 Apr 12.
- Bachani AM, Botchey I, Paruk F, Wako D, Saidi H, Aliwa B, Kibias S, Hyder AA. Nine-point plan to improve care of the injured patient: A case study from Kenya. Surgery. 2017 Dec;162(6S):S32-S44. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2017.05.020. Epub 2017 Oct 16.
- Bachani AM, Taber N, Mehmood A, Hung YW, Botchey I, Al-Kashmiri A, Hyder AA. Adolescent and Young Adult Injuries in Developing Economies: A Comparative Analysis from Oman and Kenya. Ann Glob Health. 2017 Sep - Dec;83(5-6):791-802. doi: 10.1016/j.aogh.2017.10.030. Epub 2017 Nov 23.
See all publications by Abdulgafoor M. Bachani