PhD, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 2009
MD, University of Cocody, 2002
Through his professional experience and educational background work, Dr. Alain Koffi has gained an excellent grounding of cross-cutting methodological approach in implementing household surveys in developing countries. Currently, he is working closely with the brightest minds in the field of child health epidemiology to provide improved global estimates of the causes and determinants of maternal, neonatal (0-27 days old) and child (1-59 months old) morbidity and mortality. This involve two activities involve gathering new verbal autopsy (VA) and social autopsy (SA) data to directly measure neonatal and child mortality and its determinants in high priority countries.
Honors and Awards
2016- Fellowship- A short course sponsored by the Joint Program in Survey Methodology (University of Maryland & University of Michigan)- Introduction to Survey Sampling
2010-2011 Postdoctoral Fellowship: The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2004-2009 Scholarship: Japanese Government for PhD Studies at Tokyo Medical and Dental University
2004 Extraordinary efforts in response to the public health emergencies affecting Liberian refugees destined for the USA by Center for Disease Control and Prevention
2002 Research Grant Award: France Embassy in Côte d'Ivoire
- Koffi AK, Kalter HD, Loveth EN, Quinley J, Monehin J, Black RE. Beyond causes of death: The social determinants of mortality among children aged 1-59 months in Nigeria from 2009 to 2013. PLoS One. 2017 May 31;12(5):e0177025. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0177025. eCollection 2017. PubMed PMID: 28562610; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5451019.
- Adewemimo A, Kalter HD, Perin J, Koffi AK, Quinley J, Black RE. Direct estimates of cause-specific mortality fractions and rates of under-five deaths in the northern and southern regions of Nigeria by verbal autopsy interview. PLoS One. 2017 May 31;12(5):e0178129. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178129. eCollection 2017. PubMed PMID: 28562611; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5451023.
- Koffi AK, Wounang RS, Nguefack F, Moluh S, Libite PR, Kalter HD. Sociodemographic, behavioral, and environmental factors of child mortality in Eastern Region of Cameroon: results from a social autopsy study. J Glob Health. 2017 Jun;7(1):010601. doi: 10.7189/jogh.07.010601. PubMed PMID: 28400957; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5344009.
- Liu L, Kalter HD, Chu Y, Kazmi N, Koffi AK, Amouzou A, Joos O, Munos M, Black RE. Understanding Misclassification between Neonatal Deaths and Stillbirths: Empirical Evidence from Malawi. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 28;11(12):e0168743. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0168743. PubMed PMID: 28030594.
- Khanam R, Ahmed S, Creanga AA, Begum N, Koffi AK, Mahmud A, Rosen H, Baqui AH; Projahnmo Study Group in Bangladesh. Antepartum complications and perinatal mortality in rural Bangladesh. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017 Mar 7;17(1):81. doi: 10.1186/s12884-017-1264-1. PubMed PMID: 28270117; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5341426.
See all publications by Alain K. Koffi