MS, University of Maryland Global Campus, 2020
PhD, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 2009
MD, University of Cocody, 2002
Dr. Alain Koffi is a population health researcher with a multidisciplinary background in Medicine, epidemiological maternal and child health and mortality, community primary health care and more recently, in data analytics/ data science. Current research areas include operations and implementation research in community-based primary health care and nutrition services, community-based surveillance approaches for health systems strengthening, either through “real time” monitoring of vital events and reproductive health behaviors or measuring the causes and determinants of neonatal and child mortality.
Dr. Koffi has recently completed an MS in Data Analytics to cement his data analytics and statistical skills, to learn Machine Learning and data visualization and other data science techniques. He looks forward to applying these techniques into his current work, more specifically to leverage real-time data collection, and visualization for decision-making as foundational to strengthening existing health systems in Low and Middle Income Countries.
Honors and Awards
2020 UMGC Chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE), the International Honor Society for the Computing and Information Disciplines
2020 UMGC Chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS)
2016- Fellowship- A short course sponsored by the Joint Program in Survey Methodology (University of Maryland & University of Michigan)- Introduction to Survey Sampling
2010-2011 Postdoctoral Fellowship: The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2004-2009 Scholarship: Japanese Government for PhD Studies at Tokyo Medical and Dental University
2004 Extraordinary efforts in response to the public health emergencies affecting Liberian refugees destined for the USA by Center for Disease Control and Prevention
2002 Research Grant Award: France Embassy in Côte d'Ivoire
Most recent publications
- Koffi AK, Kalter HD, Kamwe MA, Black RE. Verbal/social autopsy analysis of causes and determinants of under-5 mortality in Tanzania from 2010 to 2016. J Glob Health. 2020 Dec;10(2):020901. doi: 10.7189/jogh.10.020901. PubMed PMID: 33274067; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7699006.
- Perin J, Koffi AK, Kalter HD, Monehin J, Adewemimo A, Quinley J, Black RE. Using propensity scores to estimate the effectiveness of maternal and newborn interventions to reduce neonatal mortality in Nigeria. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020 Sep 14;20(1):534. doi: 10.1186/s12884-020-03220-3. PubMed PMID: 32928142; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7488987.
- Tsui A, Anglewicz P, Akinlose T, Srivatsan V, Akilimali P, Alzouma S, Bazie F, Gichangi P, Guiella G, Kayembe P, Mehrotra A, OlaOlorun F, Omoluabi E, Oumarou S, Sodani PR, Thiongo M, Byrne M, Dreger K, Decker M, Cardona C, Muhoza P, Combs C, Koffi AK, Radloff S. Performance monitoring and accountability: The Agile Project's protocol, record and experience. Gates Open Res. 2020;4:30. doi: 10.12688/gatesopenres.13119.2. eCollection 2020. PubMed PMID: 32908964; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7463111.
- Baqui AH, McCollum ED, Mahmud A, Roy A, Chowdhury NH, Rafiqullah I, Rizvi SJR, Begum N, Mitra DK, Khanam R, Harrison M, Ahmed S, Hasanuzzaman M, Rahman H, Islam M, Ahmed ZB, Quaiyum MA, Koffi AK, Simmons N, Checkley W, Moulton LH, Santosham M, Saha SK. Population-based incidence and serotype distribution of invasive pneumococcal disease prior to introduction of conjugate pneumococcal vaccine in Bangladesh. PLoS One. 2020;15(2):e0228799. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0228799. eCollection 2020. PubMed PMID: 32053640; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7018078.
- Lee AC, Mullany LC, Koffi AK, Rafiqullah I, Khanam R, Folger LV, Rahman M, Mitra DK, Labrique A, Christian P, Uddin J, Ahmed P, Ahmed S, Mahmud A, DasGupta SK, Begum N, Quaiyum MA, Saha SK, Baqui AH. Urinary tract infections in pregnancy in a rural population of Bangladesh: population-based prevalence, risk factors, etiology, and antibiotic resistance. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019 Dec 31;20(1):1. doi: 10.1186/s12884-019-2665-0. PubMed PMID: 31892316; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6938613.
See all publications by Alain K. Koffi