MAIA, Ohio Unviersity, 1992
BA, Saint Olaf College, 1985
Anne (she/her) is an Associate Scientist in the Department of Health, Behavior, and Society, and a program director at the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future. She directs the Food Policy Networks project, which seeks to improve the capacity of new and existing food policy councils and similar organizations to advance food system policies through a database of resources, a mailing list of 2,100 members, an annual survey of food policy councils, and several educational activities. Anne also works directly with several food policy councils throughout the US. She is a faculty member of the Bloomberg American Health Initiative.
Her research interests include the role of food retail in public health, how regional food supply chains can serve low-income areas, food system governance and equity, and the impact of federal food policy on communities. She co-teaches a course on applying systems thinking to obesity prevention. Prior to working at CLF, she spent 13 years designing, developing, and executing public health communication campaigns in Asia.
Honors and Awards
Sarah Samuels Memorial Award for leadership in the field of nutrition and food policy, APHA 2020
Recognized by the Baltimore Sun as one of the top 10 people who make the Baltimore region better, 2018
Excellence in Teaching, JHSPH, 2010-2012
Barnhill, A. Palmer, A. Weston, C. Brownell, K. Clancy, K. Economos, C. Gittelsohn, J. Hammond, R. Kumanyika, S. Bennett, W. Grappling with Complex Food Systems to Reduce Obesity: A US Public Health Challenge, Public Health Reports, 2018, 133(1 Suppl): 44S–53S, doi: 10.1177/0033354918802793
- Palmer, A. Atoloye, A. Bassarab, K. Calancie, L. Santo, R. Stowers, K. COVID-19 Responses: Food Policy Councils are “Stepping In, Stepping Up, and Stepping Back” Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, November 2020. 10 (1), 223–226. https://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2020.101.013
- Palmer, A. Bonanno, A. Cho, C. Clancy, K. Cleary, R. Lee, R. Enhancing Understanding of Food Purchasing Patterns in the Northeast U.S. using Multiple Datasets, Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, August 2019, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170519000371
- Moran, A. Gu, Y. Clynes, S. Goheer, A. Roberto, C. Palmer, A. Effects of Governmental Policies to Improve the Nutritional Quality of Supermarket Purchases: An Integrative Review, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, October 2020, 17(20), 7493; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17207493
- Bassarab, K. Clark, J. Santo, R. Palmer, A. Finding Our Way to Food Democracy-Lessons from U.S. Food Policy Council Governance, Politics and Governance, June 2019. 7(4):32, DOI: 10.17645/pag.v7i4.2092
- Lange, S. Calancie, L. Onufrak, S. Reddy, K. Palmer, A. Lowry Warnock, A. Associations between Food Policy Councils and Policies That Support Healthy Food Access: A National Survey of Community Policy Supports. Nutrients 2021, 13, 683. https:// doi.org/10.3390/nu13020683