PhD, Karolinska Institute, 2006
ScD, Harvard School of Public Health, 2005
MS, Harvard School of Public Health, 2002
MS, Harvard School of Public Health, 1999
BA, Reed College, 1992
My main research objective is to study how social determinants influence health. My interests are largely cross-disciplinary. They focus on examining interactions between social conditions and other factors that impact health, such as dietary behaviors and environmental exposures. To date, much of my work has been about the role of maternal mental health, social support and familial environment on early growth and childhood development. International collaborations have included work in Brazil, Sweden, Haiti, Nepal, and Pakistan.
Honors and Awards
Fulbright Grant to Colombia, US State Department - Institute of International Education (1994-1995)
David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies, Term-time Research Grant to Brazil (1999)
Frederick Sheldon Fellowship to Brazil, Harvard University (2000-2001)
Thord-Gray Memorial Fellowship to Sweden, American Scandinavian Foundation (2002-2003)
Selected publications from the last five years.
- Surkan PJ, Dong L, Ji Y; Hong X, Kimmel M, Tang W, Ji H, Wang X. Paternal involvement and support and risk of preterm birth: Findings from the Boston Birth Cohort. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology 2017; 16:1-9.
- Surkan PJ, Patel S, Rahman A. Preventing infant and child morbidity and mortality due to maternal depression. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2016; 36:156-168.
- Surkan PJ, Ettinger AK, Ahmed S, Minkovitz CS, Strobino D. Impact of maternal depressive symptoms on growth of preschool- and school-aged children. Pediatrics 130(4):e847-55, 2012.
- Surkan PJ, Coutinho AJ, Christiansen K, Dennisuk LA, Suratkar S, Mead E, Sharma S, Gittelsohn J. Healthy food purchasing among African American youth, associations with child gender, adult caregiver characteristics and the home food environment. Public Health Nutrition 14(4) 670-677, 2011.
- Surkan PJ, Mukherjee JS, Williams DR, Eustache E, Louis E, Jean-Paul T, Lambert W, Scanlan FC, Oswald CM, Smith Fawzi MC. Perceived discrimination and stigma towards children affected by HIV/AIDS and their HIV-positive caregivers in central Haiti. AIDS Care 22 (7):803-15, 2010.
See all publications by Pamela J. Surkan