MD, University of Washington, 1997
BS, University of Washington, 1993
My current research focuses on the design and conduct of Phase I and 2 clinical vaccine trials and challenge studies, especially for Enteric diseases and Influenza. I have served as the Principal Investigator for phase I and II clinical trials for a variety of vaccines -- including influenza (pandemic and seasonal), malaria, Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC), Shigella and Ebola. . In addition, I have been a co-investigator on pediatric and adult vaccine trials for dengue and respiratory viruses as well as a human metapneumovirus challenge study. Safety is an integral part of all of my vaccine trials. With training in the Clinical Parasitology Service at the NIH as a fellow, I now attend in the Geographic Medicine Center at Johns Hopkins University, as well as on the Infectious Disease Consult Service.
Selected publications from the last 5 years.
- Talaat, K. R., Luke, C. J., Khurana, S., Manischewitz, J., King, L. R., McMahon, B. A., Karron, R. A., Lewis, K., Qin, J., Follmann, D., Golding, H., Neuzil, K., Subbarao, K. A live attenuated H5N1 vaccine induces long-term immunity in the absence of a primary antibody response. J Infect Dis 2014; 209(12):1860-9. PMID: 24604819.
- Talaat, K. R., Ellis, R. D., Hurd, J., Hentrich, A., Gabriel, E., Hynes, N. A., Rausch, K. M., Zhu, D., Muratova, O., Herrera, R., Anderson, C., Jones, D., Aebig, J., Brockley, S., MacDonald, N.J., Wang, X., Fay, M. P., Healy, S. A., Durbin, A. P., Narum, D. L., Wu, Y., and Duffy, P. E. Safety and Immunogenicity of Pfs25-EPA/Alhydrogel®, a Transmission Blocking Vaccine against Plasmodium falciparum: An Open Label Study in Malaria Naïve Adults. PLoS One. 2016 October 17; 11(10): e0163144. PMID: 27749907.
- Halsey, N. A., Talaat, K. R., Greenbaum, A., Mensah, E., Dudley, M., Proveaux, T. and Salmon, D. A. The Safety of Influenza Vaccines in Children: an Institute for Vaccine Safety White Paper. Vaccine, Supplement 2015 Dec 30;33 Suppl 5:F1-F67. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.10.080. PMID: 26822822. (Commissioned by the WHO).
- Talaat, K. R., Karron, R. A., Thumar, B., McMahon, B. A., Schmidt, A. C., Collins, P. L., and Buchholz, U. J. Experimental Infection of Adults with Recombinant Wild-Type Human Metapneumovirus (rHMPV-SHs) J Infect Dis, 2013; 208:1669-78. PMID: 23908489.
- Coehling, K. L., Luke, C. J., Jin, H., and Talaat, K. R. Development of live attenuated influenza vaccines against pandemic influenza strains. Expert Rev Vaccines 2014; 13(7): 855-71. PMID: 24867587.