PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2007
MPH, University of Texas Health Science Center, 2001
MS, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1999
BA, Swarthmore College, 1996
Dr. D'Souza's primary research interest is in infectious causes of cancer. Current research explores the association between Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and cancer, screening and prevention of cancer, STDs, and risk communication. Dr. D'Souza is a PI of the MACS-WIHS Combined Cohort Study datacenter, a large multi-center study of HIV infection in the U.S.
Honors and Awards
2019 Publications cited over 12,500 times to date (per Google Scholar)
2016-current Member of the American Dental Association Oral Cancer Guidelines Committee & Advisor
2016-current Member of the NIH National Cancer Institute HPV Vaccine Trial Working Group
2007 Research cited as one of top six advances in cancer research in 2007 by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
1995 Received the Gold U.S. Congressional award, recognizing initiative, achievement and service
- D'Souza G, Westra WH, Wang SJ, van Zante A, Wentz A, Kluz N, Rettig E, Ryan WR, Ha PK, Kang H, Bishop J, Quon H, Kiess AP, Richmon JD, Eisele DW, Fakhry C. Differences in the Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancers by Sex, Race, Anatomic Tumor Site, and HPV Detection Method. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Dec 8. PMID: 27930766.
- Fakhry C, D'Souza G. Discussing the diagnosis of HPV-OSCC: Common questions and answers. Oral Oncology. 2013 Jul 16. PMID:23876627.
- D'Souza G, Clemens G, Troy T, Castillo RG, Struijk L, Waterboer T, Bender N, Pierorazio PM, Best SR, Strickler H, Wiley DJ, Haddad RI, Posner M, Fakhry C. Evaluating the Utility and Prevalence of HPV Biomarkers in Oral Rinses and Serology for HPV-related Oropharyngeal Cancer. Cancer Prevention Research. 2019 Oct;12(10):689-700. PMID:31420362
- D'Souza G, Golub ET, Gange SJ. The Changing Science of HIV Epidemiology in the U.S. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2019 Oct 8. pii: kwz211. PMID:31595945
- Robbins HA, Strickler HD, Massad LS, Pierce CB, Darragh TM, Minkhoff H, Keller MJ, Fischl M, Palefsky J, Flowers L, Rahangdale L, Milam J, Shrestha S, Colie C, D’Souza G. Cervical cancer screening intervals and management for women living with HIV: A risk benchmarking approach. AIDS. 2017 Apr 24;31(7):1035-1044. PMID:28323758
See all publications by Gypsyamber D'Souza