PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2007
MPH, University of Texas Health Science Center, 2001
MS, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1999
BA, Swarthmore College, 1996
Dr. D'Souza's primary research interest is in infectious disease, risk behaviors, and translational epidemiology. She leads a research program on HPV and related cancers, risk triage and risk communication. In addition Dr. D'Souza is a PI of the MACS-WIHS Combined Cohort Study, a large multisite study of HIV in the U.S.
Honors and Awards
2019 Publications cited over 12,500 times to date (per Google Scholar)
2016-current Member of the American Dental Association Oral Cancer Guidelines Committee & Advisor
2016-current Member of the NIH National Cancer Institute HPV Vaccine Trial Working Group
2007 Research cited as one of top six advances in cancer research in 2007 by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
1995 Received the Gold U.S. Congressional award, recognizing initiative, achievement and service
- D'Souza G, Westra WH, Wang SJ, van Zante A, Wentz A, Kluz N, Rettig E, Ryan WR, Ha PK, Kang H, Bishop J, Quon H, Kiess AP, Richmon JD, Eisele DW, Fakhry C. Differences in the Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancers by Sex, Race, Anatomic Tumor Site, and HPV Detection Method. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Dec 8. PMID: 27930766.
- Fakhry C, D'Souza G. Discussing the diagnosis of HPV-OSCC: Common questions and answers. Oral Oncology. 2013 Jul 16. PMID:23876627.
- Carethers JM, Sengupta R, Blakey R, Ribas A, D'Souza G. Disparities in Cancer Prevention in the COVID-19 Era. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2020 Nov;13(11):893-896. PMID: 32943438
- D'Souza G, Golub ET, Gange SJ. The Changing Science of HIV Epidemiology in the U.S. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2019 Oct 8. pii: kwz211. PMID:31595945
- Robbins HA, Strickler HD, Massad LS, Pierce CB, Darragh TM, Minkhoff H, Keller MJ, Fischl M, Palefsky J, Flowers L, Rahangdale L, Milam J, Shrestha S, Colie C, D’Souza G. Cervical cancer screening intervals and management for women living with HIV: A risk benchmarking approach. AIDS. 2017 Apr 24;31(7):1035-1044. PMID:28323758
See all publications by Gypsyamber D'Souza