PhD, Brown University, 2000
Honors and Awards
Ann Woolcock Memorial Award for Outstanding Contribution and Future Promise in Asthma Research, American Thoracic Society, 2006
Faculty Research Initiative Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2007
American Asthma Foundation Award, 2010
Semi-Finalists for the President's Frontier Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2014
Discovery Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2015
Discovery Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2016
Catalyst Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2017
Editorial Board, American Journal of Respiratory Cell & Molecular Biology, 2017
College of Reviewers, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2017
Nominating Committee, Respiratory Structure and Function Assembly of the American Thoracic Society, 2017
- Haffner MC, Esopi DM, Chaux A, Gürel M, Ghosh S, Vaghasia AM, Tsai H, Kim K, Castagna N, Lam H, Hicks J, Whys N, Shinohara DB, Hurley PJ, Simons BW, Schaeffer EM, Lotan TL, Isaacs WB, Netto GJ, De Marzo AM, Nelson WG, An SS, and Yegnasubramanian S. AIM1 is an actin binding protein that suppresses cell migration and micrometastatic dissemination. Nature Communications 8: 142, 2017.
- Park J, Kim DH, Kim HN, Wang C, Kwak MK, Hur E, Suh KY, An SS, and Levchenko A. Directed migration of cancer cells guided by the graded texture of the underlying matrix. Nature Materials 15: 792-801, 2016.
- An SS, Mitzner W, Tang WY, Ahn K, Yoon AR, Kim J, Kilic O, Yong HM, Fahey JW, Kumar S, Biswal S, Holgate ST, Panettieri RA, Solway J, and Liggett SB. An inflammation-independent contraction mechanophenotype of airway smooth muscle in asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 138: 294-297, 2016.
- An SS, Robinett KS, Deshpande DA, Wang WC, Liggett SB. Reply to: Activation of BK channels may not be required for bitter tastant-induced bronchodilation. Nature Medicine 18: 650-651, 2012;
Deshpande DA, Robinett KS, Wang WC, Sham JS, An SS, Liggett SB. Bronchodilator activity of bitter tastants in human tissue. Nature Medicine 17: 776-778, 2011;
Deshpande DA, Wang WCH, Mcllmoyle EL, Robinett KS, Schillinger RM, An SS, Sham JS, Liggett SB. Bitter taste receptors on airway smooth muscle bronchodilate by localized calcium signaling and reverse obstruction. Nature Medicine 16: 1299-1304, 2010.
- Trepat X, Deng L, An SS, Navajas D, Tschumperlin DJ, Gerthoffer WT, Butler JP, and Fredberg JJ. Universal physical responses to stretch in the living cell. Nature 447: 592-595, 2007.
See all publications by Steven S. An