PhD, Brown University, 2000
Honors and Awards
Ann Woolcock Award for Outstanding Contribution and Future Promise in Asthma Research, American Thoracic Society, 2006.
Faculty Research Initiative Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2007.
American Asthma Foundation Award, 2010.
Discovery Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2015 & 2016.
Catalyst Award, the Johns Hopkins University, 2017.
Editorial Board, American Journal of Respiratory Cell & Molecular Biology, 2017.
College of Reviewers, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2017.
- Haffner MC, Esopi DM, Chaux A, Gürel M, Ghosh S, Vaghasia AM, Tsai H, Kim K, Castagna N, Lam H, Hicks J, Whys N, Shinohara DB, Hurley PJ, Simons BW, Schaeffer EM, Lotan TL, Isaacs WB, Netto GJ, De Marzo AM, Nelson WG, An SS, and Yegnasubramanian S. (2017) AIM1 is an actin binding protein that suppresses cell migration and micrometastatic dissemination. Nature Communications (Epub ahead of print).
- Park J, Kim DH, Kim HN, Wang C, Kwak MK, Hur E, Suh KY, An SS, and Levchenko A. (2016) Directed migration of cancer cells guided by the graded texture of the underlying matrix. Nature Materials 15, 792-801.
- An SS, Mitzner W, Tang WY, Ahn K, Yoon AR, Kim J, Kilic O, Yong HM, Fahey JW, Kumar S, Biswal S, Holgate ST, Panettieri RA, Solway J, and Liggett SB. (2016) An inflammation-independent contraction mechanophenotype of airway smooth muscle in asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 138, 294-297.
- Deshpande DA, Wang WCH, McIlmoyle EL, Robinett KS, Schillinger RM, An SS, Sham JSK, and Liggett SB. (2010) Bitter taste receptors on airway smooth muscle bronchodilate by localized calcium signaling and reverse obstruction. Nature Medicine 16, 1299-1304.
- Trepat X, Deng L, An SS, Navajas D, Tschumperlin DJ, Gerthoffer WT, Butler JP, and Fredberg JJ. (2007) Universal physical responses to stretch in the living cell. Nature 447, 592-595.
See all publications by Steven S. An