PhD, Johns Hopkins University, 2001
MPH, University of Rochester, 1989
My research exploits the complementary aspects of the epidemiological, toxicological, and environmental sciences to develop and refine quantitative risk assessment methods to improve the public’s health. The new concepts of cumulative risk assessment present an opportunity to create interdisciplinary approaches to public and environmental health because of the multiple determinants of health framework that serves as its foundation. My work addresses the health effects of exposure to chemical mixtures including whether differential exposure to mixtures contributes to racial and ethnic health disparities. Current US environmental policies address one chemical at a time while actual exposures occur as multiple chemical mixtures. Through my research I seek to inform environmental policies that account for multiple chemical and non chemical exposures.
Honors and Awards
Bloomberg American Health Initiative Translation and Dissemination Award, 2017
American Association for the Advancement of Science Risk Policy Fellowship, 2001
Centers for Disease Control Dissertation Grant, 1999
Risk Sciences and Public Policy Institute Scholarship, 1999
Society for Risk Analysis Student Abstract Award, 1998
Avoca Rod and Gun Club Environmental Scholarship, 1996
Phi Beta Kappa, 1987
Highlights of recent work advancing environmental public health in communities and the science and practice of risk assessment.
- Fox, M., Zuidema, C., Bauman, B., Burke, T., Sheehan, M. (2019) Integrating public health into climate change policy and planning: State of practice update. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16(18):E3232. doi: 10.3390/ijerph16183232.
- Fox, M.A., Spicer, K., Chosewood, L.C., Susi, P., Johns, D.O., Dotson, G.S. (2018) Implications of applying cumulative risk assessment to the workplace. Environment International 115: 230–238 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2018.03.026
- Fox, M.A., Brewer, L.E., Martin, L. (2017) An Overview of Literature Topics Related to Current Concepts, Methods, Tools, and Applications for Cumulative Risk Assessment (2007-2016). International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 14(4): E389. doi: 10.3390/ijerph14040389.
- Sheehan, M.C., Fox, M.A., Kaye, C.H., Resnick B. (2017) Integrating health into local climate response: lessons from the US CDC Climate-Ready States and Cities Initiative
Environmental Health Perspectives 125(9):094501. doi: 10.1289/EHP1838
- Fox, M.A., Nachman, K.E., Anderson, B., Lam, J., Resnick, B. (2016) Meeting the public health challenge of protecting private wells: proceedings and recommendations from an expert panel workshop. Science of the Total Environment 554-555: 113-118. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.02.1284