PhD, Johns Hopkins University, 2003
MA, New York University, 1998
BS, Northeastern University, 1991
For decades I have been actively engaged in suicide prevention research in schools, universities, emergency departments, and other settings. I am involved in several state of Maryland and National suicide prevention initiatives including Maryland’s Suicide Prevention and Early Intervention Network (MD-SPIN), a SAMHSA-funded state of Maryland Garrett Lee Smith suicide prevention project. I co-chair the Suicide Prevention Task Group of the National Network of Depression Centers, a non-profit 501(c)(3) network of 26 leading academic medical centers. I teach a course in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health entitled “Suicide as a Public Health Problem” and lead a multidisciplinary, interdepartmental suicide prevention work group at Johns Hopkins.
Honors and Awards
Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, Alpha Chapter
Andrej Marušic Suicide Research Award, sponsor: International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP)
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Young Investigator Award, 2009-2011
The Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award (AMTRA), 2007, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) Young Investigator Award, 2005-2007
The Harold and Sylvia Halpert Endowment Award, 2003, Johns Hopkins University
Individual National Research Service Award, 2001-2003
National Research Service Award, 1998-2001
My most significant contributions have been in three areas: 1) population-based prospective studies of suicidal behaviors; 2) the effectiveness of community-based universal prevention programs embedded into service sectors; 3) the identification of biomarkers to inform suicide prevention.
- Wilcox HC, Fullerton JM, Glowinski AL, Benke K, Kamali M, Hulvershorn LA, Stapp EK, Edenberg HJ, Roberts GMP, Ghaziuddin N, Fisher C, Brucksch C, Frankland A, Toma C, Shaw AD, Kastelic E, Miller L, McInnis MG, Mitchell PB, Nurnberger JI Jr. Traumatic Stress Interacts With Bipolar Disorder Genetic Risk to Increase Risk for Suicide Attempts. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2017 Dec;56(12):1073-1080
- Swartz K, Musci RJ, Beaudry MB, Heley K, Miller L, Alfes C, Townsend L, Thornicroft G, Wilcox HC. School-Based Curriculum to Improve Depression Literacy Among US Secondary School Students: A Randomized Effectiveness Trial. Am J Public Health. 2017 Dec;107(12):1970-1976.
- Wilcox HC, Kharrazi H, Wilson RF, Musci RJ, Susukida R, Gharghabi F, Zhang A, Wissow L, Robinson KA.
Data Linkage Strategies to Advance Youth Suicide Prevention: A Systematic Review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop. Ann Intern Med. 2016 Dec 6;165(11):779-785.
- Musci RJ, Kharrazi H, Wilson RF, Susukida R, Gharghabi F, Zhang A, Wissow L, Robinson KA, Wilcox HC. The study of effect moderation in youth suicide-prevention studies. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2018 Aug 7. doi: 10.1007/s00127-018-1574-2.
- Ballard ED, Cwik M, Van Eck K, Goldstein M, Alfes C, Wilson ME, Virden JM, Horowitz LM, Wilcox HC. Identification of At-Risk Youth by Suicide Screening in a Pediatric Emergency Department. Prev Sci. 2017 Feb;18(2):174-182.
See all publications by Holly C. Wilcox