My current research interests focus on the integration of clinical process, outcomes, and patient reported outcomes measures. Additional interests are pay for performance and public reporting initiatives in the context of health care reform.
Honors and Awards
Johns Hopkins University Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2017
HHS Innovates Award, 2011
Alpha Chapter of the Delta Omega Society of Public Health, 1998
Ambassadorial Scholarship of the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International to Yale Medical School, the Medical School of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Tasmania Medical School, Australia, 1994
DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship to the University of Oxford, 1992
Selected publications from the last few years.
- St-Pierre GH, Yang MH, Bourget-Murray J, Thomas KC, Hurlbert RJ, Matthes N. Performance Indicators in Spine Surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Jun 27. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000002309.
- Patricia W. Stone, Sherry A. Glied, Peter D. McNair, Nikolas Matthes, Bevin Cohen, Timothy F. Landers, Elaine L. Larson. CMS Changes in Reimbursement for Hospital Acquired Infections: Setting a Research Agenda. Med Care. 2010 May;48(5):433-9.
- Nikolas Matthes, Jacob Cheng, Sam Ogunbo, Ashlie Wilbon, Nell Wood. National hospital quality measures data: supporting nurses' key roles in organizational performance improvement. J Nurs Care Qual. 2010 Apr-Jun;25(2):127-36.
- Nikolas Matthes. Pay for Performance for Hospitals in the United States. Gesundh ökon Qual manag 2009; 14: 132–143.
- Nikolas Matthes, Samuel Ogunbo, Gaither Pennington, Nell Wood, Marilyn K. Hart, Robert F. Hart, PhD Statistical Process Control for Hospitals: Methodology, User Education, and Challenges. Quality Management in Health Care. 2007 July-September;16(3):203-14