Skip Navigation

Population, Family and Reproductive Health

Frequently Asked Questions

What masters’ programs are offered in the department?

  • Master of Health Science (MHS)
  • Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH)
  • Master of Health Science (MHS) in Demography

What doctoral programs are offered in the department?

  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

What are the criteria for admissions?

· Two-page statement of objectives
· Resume/curriculum vitae
· GRE/MCAT scores
· TOEFL/IELTS (if applicable)
· Transcripts
· Three Letters of Recommendation

Is a master’s degree required for the doctoral program?

A master's degree is not required, although most PhD students have a master’s degree.

How much post-baccalaureate work experience is required, if any?

Most PhD students have at least two years of post-baccalaureate work experience.

What are average standardized test scores and GPA for students admitted to the department?

Scores in the 70th percentile or higher and an average GPA of 3.5.

What is the application deadline?

December 1 for doctoral degree programs and April 15 for masters’ degree programs.

Is an interview required?

Yes, for the doctoral degree programs. Interviews take place the first week of February. Applicants will be notified by the last week of January if they have been invited for an interview.

What funding is available for your masters’ and doctoral programs?

Please see our Funding Opportunities page for details.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Once enrolled, can students switch (program areas/concentrations/research areas)?

Applicants apply directly to the degree program and will decide on their area of interest within the Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health once they have matriculated into the degree program. 

What are the course requirements for a specific degree?

Specific course requirements per degree are listed in the PFRH Student Handbook.

What types of research opportunities are available for students?

The Department and School offer several opportunities for teaching assistant and research assistant positions. Please contact faculty directly about specific opportunities.

What types of certificates are available?

  • Certificate in Maternal and Child Health
  • Certificate in Adolescent Health
  • Certificate in Demographic Methods
  • Certificate in Population and Health
  • Certificate in Public Health Advocacy
  • Certificate in Public Health Economics
  • Certificate in Population and Health

For more information, please visit our Certificate Programs page.

Which degree programs and/or certificates may be completed online?

The Certificate in Maternal and Child Health as well as the Certificate in Adolescent Health may be completed online.

What careers do your students pursue after graduation?

Graduates go on to careers in policy, research and advocacy for NGOs, academic institutions and government agencies.