Skip Navigation

Mental Health

Application Information FAQ

Apply Online

Learn More

What masters' programs are offered in the department?

Master of Health Science (MHS)

What doctoral programs are offered in the department?

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

What are the criteria for admissions?

Bachelor's degree, GRE test scores regardless of advanced degree, TOEFL (if country is on list of required courses). International applicants should review the Admissions International Students section prior to applying.

Is a master's degree required for the doctoral program?


How much post-baccalaureate work experience is required, if any?

It is preferred but not required.

What are average standardized test scores and GPA for students admitted to the department?

Successful applicants have GRE test scores in the 65 percentile or higher.

What is the application deadline?

The deadline for doctoral applications is December 1; for MHS is April 15.

Is an interview required?

No, not unless further info is needed to ascertain the applicant's interest or knowledge level.

What are the tuition and fees?

Please visit the School's admission page for tuition and fees.

What funding is available for your masters' and doctoral programs?

No scholarships are available for Masters Students.

There are a limited number of training grant slots available for doctoral students. To be eligible and funded, a student must be either a US citizen or a permanent resident of the US to be placed in a slot. The training grant slots cover tuition, student health clinic fee, individual health insurance and tuition for a limited time. Limited funding is available through Training Grants and Departmental and School-wide scholarships and awards. Funding is determined on a case by case basis. Doctoral students in the Department are encouraged to apply for outside funding sources to supplement their tuition.  All applications to the doctoral program are automatically considered for any open slots on the training grants.

International students typically find funding either from their home country or through organizations such as Fulbright.

All full-time PhD students will receive the following support for the first four years of the program: full tuition, individual health insurance, University Health Services clinic fee, vision insurance and dental insurance.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Our students complete the doctoral program in an average of 4-5 years. The Master's program is completed in 9 months.

Once enrolled, can students switch (program areas/concentrations/research areas)?

Our department doesn't have concentrations, and students can change their research areas.

What are the course requirements for a specific degree?

The required courses for each degree are listed on the department's website. Both the master's degree and doctoral degrees are both research oriented. No clinical training is incorporated into the degree programs.

What types of research opportunities are available for students?

Faculty will have opportunities for part-time work on grant projects.

What types of certificates are available?

We offer two certificates: Certificate in Public Mental Health Research and Certificate in Mental Health Policy, Economics and Services.

Which degree programs and/or certificates may be completed online?

The department currently does not offer any online degree program or certificates.

Does the department offer any dual degree programs?


What careers do your students pursue after graduation?

Students who complete the doctoral program typically go on to professorships or post docs; MHS students either take project coordinator jobs, or work for the government or in private industry. Some master's students go on to medical school or to pursue doctoral degrees.

Do international students need to know any additional information?

International applicants should review the Admissions International Students section prior to applying.

How do I apply?

To be formally considered for admission, please visit Applicants are required to submit the following: