The Summer Institute in Tropical Medicine and Public Health
The Summer Institute in Tropical Medicine and Public Health provides multidisciplinary training in current and emerging health problems in low-resource settings. Integrating perspectives from epidemiology, biology, ecology, clinical medicine, and disease control, our curriculum offers:
- Lectures from expert faculty
- Presentations of breakthrough research
- Case studies from the field
- Interactive labs and journal clubs
For each pathogen discussed in the courses, students will develop an understanding of its mechanism of disease, its epidemiology, how it presents clinically, and how it is treated.
The Summer Institute is ideal for students and trainees who are interested in pursuing a career in infectious diseases research, practice, or medicine in a global context.
Instructors and co-instructors
The lead instructors are faculty from the Bloomberg School of Public Health with an unusual depth of experience in epidemiology and disease control. Co-instructors include infectious disease and pediatric clinicians who offer clinical pathologic case (CPC) presentations to help students understand course material in a pragmatic and useful format. Additional co-instructors include specialists with experience working for international agencies like the CDC, WHO, and UNICEF.
Students may enroll in one or more of the week-long courses or may enroll in the complete 4-week institute. Courses are available for credit and non-credit.
Academic Year 2019 - 2020 Courses
- 223.667.11 CHRONIC DISEASES IN LOW AND MIDDLE INCOME COUNTRIES: PREVALENCE AND EPIDEMIOLOGY 4 credits, Mon 08/05/2019 - Fri 08/09/2019, 8:30am - 5:20pm
- 223.684.11 VECTOR-BORNE DISEASES IN THE TROPICS 4 credits, Mon 07/15/2019 - Fri 07/19/2019, 8:30am - 5:20pm
- 223.685.11 TUBERCULOSIS, HIV AND OTHER CHRONIC INFECTIONS IN THE TROPICS 4 credits, Mon 07/29/2019 - Fri 08/02/2019, 8:30am - 5:20pm
- 223.686.11 CHILD AND PUBLIC HEALTH IN THE TROPICS 4 credits, Mon 07/08/2019 - Fri 07/12/2019, 8:30am - 5:20pm
- 223.688.11 INTESTINAL INFECTIONS IN THE TROPICS 4 credits, Mon 07/22/2019 - Fri 07/26/2019, 8:30am - 5:20pm