News and Events
For the most updated news and events, please visit the Center's main website here.
April Event: "Two different ways to approach the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)"
- On April, 15 th, the Chair Jean Monnet on EU Governance and the JHU-UPF Public Policy Center are organized a debate between Gabriel Siles-Brügge (Lecturer in Politics at the University of Manchester, UK, and co-author of the "TTIP: The Truth about the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership") and Fernando Perreau de Pinnick (Head of Unit Intellectual Property and Public Procurement . DG Trade of the European Commission)..
Decemeber: Tax and Public Finance Law Seminar Series: "The reform of the financing of the health care system in the United States. Is the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) relevant for Europe?"
- On December 18, the UPF Tax and Public Finance Law Research Group and the Johns Hopkins University - Pompeu Fabra University Public Policy Center organize within the Tax and Public Finance Law Seminar Series the seminar: "The reform of the financing of the health care system in the United States. Is the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) relevant for Europe?", with Pierre-Gerlier Forest (Professor and Director of the Institute for Health and Social Policy, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Co-Director of the JHU-UPF Public Policy Center) as a participant and as keynote speaker Ana Belén Macho (Associate Professor of Tax and Public Finance Law of the Law Department UPF and member of the JHU-UPF Public Policy Center).
Video from Climate Healthy Cities working group
- The Climate Healthy Cities Working Group of the Center recently recorded a video to give others a better understanding of the importance of their project. To view the video, click here.
Summit on Climate Change and Health
- The Center co-sponsored a conference on Climate Change on Friday, October 2 at JHSPH. Speakers addressed questions including: What are the health effects of climate change? Which options for getting the climate stabilized would have the greatest public health benefits? How should public health respond to climate changes that are already occurring?
Johns Hopkins University, led by the Bloomberg School of Public Health Expands Collaboration with Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- The Johns Hopkins University, led by the Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Spain, worked together to establish the new Johns Hopkins University Center of Public Policy (JHUCPP), which was inaugurated on November 6, 2014, in collaboration with the Universitat Pompeu Fabra campus in Barcelona. The new center promotes public policy and policy studies. The formal agreement between the two universities was signed in Baltimore on March 11, 2013.
Johns Hopkins Fall Institute in Health Policy and Management
- The Fall Institute in Health Policy and Management is jointly sponsored by the Agencia de Salut Publica de Barcelona, one of the major public health research agencies in Europe, the Lleida Science and Technology Park, and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. This year's institute will be held November 9-27, 2014 at the Center in Barcelona. Information about course offerings and registration can be found here later in the spring.
The Public and Social Policy Program established by the Pompeu Fabra University in collaboration with faculty from the Johns Hopkins University
- This program, with a Master on these subjects, is developing a collaborative effort to explore areas of cobined teaching and exchange of faculty and students with the Master of Public Policy of the Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Research projects are underway with researchers from both universities in different areas that include the impact of climate change on the quality of life, social wellbeing and health in urban populations; consequences of the financial and economic crises on the wellbeing of populations; and the relevance of the financial, economic and political integration on the EU and its consequences for social policy. Other research projects that are being established include the impact of migration on the social wellbeing of population.
Alum leads public health efforts in Catalonian city of Lleida.