How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Bloomberg School.
Please review the steps below carefully and contact the Department's Office of Academic Affairs if you have any additional questions about the application process.
Step 1 – Do Your Research
Before you apply to the Department of Health Policy and Management, carefully review our degree programs to find the one that’s best for you. We offer master’s programs and doctoral programs. In addition, several non-degree certificate programs offered by the department are available.
All applicants are required to submit applications through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS).
You can also attend our annual Open House on Monday October 8th, 2018. Schedules, registration, and more information can be found here.
Step 2 – Know Your Deadline
The Department requires that you submit your online application (through SOPHAS) and all supporting materials by the application deadline. The 2019-2020 application deadlines are:
- PhD Program — December 1
- MHA, MSPH, MHS-HEOR, MHS-HFM Asia-Pacific Program, DrPH Tsinghua Programs — January 15
- Certificate programs vary — check application deadline table for further details
Decisions are typically communicated:
- PhD Program — Mid February
- Master's Programs — February - April
- Certificate decisions will be communicated within 8 weeks of receipt of a completed application
Step 3 – Know Your Application Requirements
For the Department of Health Policy and Management, the following are required for your application.
- PhD Program — Statement, resume or c.v., GRE scores, TOEFL** or IELTS scores (if relevant), transcripts from all universities attended and three letters of recommendation.
- DrPH Program — Statement, resume or c.v., GRE or GMAT* scores, TOEFL** or IELTS scores (if relevant), transcripts from all universities attended and three letters of recommendation.
- Master's Programs — Statement, resume, GRE or GMAT* scores, TOEFL** or IELTS scores (if relevant), transcripts from all universities attended and three letters of recommendation.
- Certificate Programs — Application requirements will vary based on the certificate and applicant status. Please refer to the certificate webpage or Ms. Pamela Davis, HPM Certificate Administrator for specific application requirements.
* GMAT scores are only accepted for the Master of Health Administration (MHA), Doctorate of Public Health Tsinghua Cohort (DrPH Tsinghua), and Master of Health Science (MHS) in Health Finance and Management programs.
** View HPM English Language Waiver Policy.
Step 4 – Apply Online
All applications must be submitted through SOPHAS.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to general questions about the Department of Health Policy and Management and the program offerings.