Epidemiology @ Hopkins Turns 100!
2019 marked the centennial of the Department of Epidemiology. As we commemorated this year with celebrations and honors, we also reflected on how Epidemiology has evolved over the last 100 years, where we stand today, and where the field might be headed.
About the Logo
Designed by deputy chair and professor Shruti Mehta, the centennial logo features a contemporary “100” depicting epidemiology as a population science. The text underneath the “100” invokes the department’s renowned past and tradition with a modern twist: the @ symbol, used in scientific formulas as well as social media, represents the importance of communicating science across various populations.
Centennial Faculty Recognition Events
Throughout the 2018-2019 academic year, senior faculty members were honored for their contributions to the department and the field of epidemiology through education, mentorship, research and service.
The Department hosted a 1.5 day symposium, November 8-9, 2018 to address contemporary topics for our community. This was an opportunity to help lead and craft the future of epidemiology by bringing together researchers and educational leaders. Certain sessions of the symposium were recorded and are linked below.
November 8, 2018
- Welcome, introduction and visiting the past 100 years
- How Do We Communicate Science and How Can We Improve? (invited panel discussion)
- Alan Alda Communications Team: hands-on session on communicating science
November 9, 2018
- Breakout sessions focused on "Big Questions in Epidemiology"
- "Epidemiology through the Lens of Journal Editors of the Broader Scientific Field" (invited panel discussion)
- Report from breakout session and discussion
- "Teaching and Training Epidemiologists into the Next 100 Years" (invited panel discussion)
Roberta Ness (University of Texas)
Matthew Fox (Boston University)
Allen Wilcox (NIEHS)
Katherine Keyes (Columbia University)
Alfredo Morabia (Columbia University)
Barbara Mahon (CDC)
Moyses Szklo (Johns Hopkins University)
Karen Thomas (Johns Hopkins University)
Christine Laine (Annals of Internal Medicine)
Sonja Schmid (Nature Publications)
Rebecca Cooney (Lancet)
Brad Wible (Science)
AJE Special Epi 100th Anniversary Issue
To celebrate the Department of Epidemiology centennial, the May 2019 issue of American Journal of Epidemiology was comprised of traditionally peer-reviewed articles by JHSPH Epi faculty and students, reflecting on accomplishments while acknowledging the future of epidemiology.