Data Analysis Workshop I
June 12-16, 2017
1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Intended for students with a broad understanding of biostatistical concepts used in public health sciences who seek to develop additional data analysis skills. Emphasizes concepts and illustration of concepts applying a variety of analytic techniques to public health datasets in a computer laboratory using Stata statistical software. In the first workshop (140.613), students learn basic methods of data organization/management and simple methods for data exploration, data editing, and graphical and tabular displays. Also covered basic statistical methodology including the comparison of means and proportions. Enrollment limited: students must have a laptop computer with Intercooled Stata 11 or Intercooled 12 installed.
Student Evaluation: Student evaluation based on laboratory exercises, an exam, and completion of an independent data analysis project.
Learning Objectives: Upon successfully completing this course, students will be able to
- Learn to create, save and edit Stata datasets, log files and do files
- Use Stata to perform exploratory data analysis for continous and dichotomous variables
- Use Stata do files to create reproducible analyses
- Recognize the distinction between and appropriate uses of the binomial, poisson and normal probability models
- Use Stata to perform paired and unpaired t-tests for differences in group means
- Understand the appropriate use of paired and unpaired t-tests and the interpretation of the resulting Stata output
- Use Stata to perform a chi-squared test and compute confidence intervals for differences in group proportions, relative risks and odds ratios
- Understand the appropriate use of chi-squared tests and the interpretation of the resulting Stata output.
Prerequisite: 140.611 and 140.612 or equivalent
Grading Options: Letter Grade or Pass/Fail
Special Comments: Students must have a laptop computer with Intercooled Stata 13 installed. Student discounts are available for Intercooled Stata.
Course Materials: Provided in class