Department of Epidemiology Centennial Celebration Kick-off
November 3, 2015
1:00 - 3:00 pm, Feinstone Hall
Department of Epidemiology Centennial Poster Session
This poster session will highlight exemplary past, present and future research projects from the Department of Epidemiology. Student poster prizes will be awarded for First, Second and Third place ($300, $200, $100). There will be a "scavenger hunt" competition for faculty members to find specific items within the student posters.
The posters will highlight:
- New research (student posters)
- Projects currently underway or planned in the future
- Historical and landmark studies from the Department
3:00 - 4:00 pm, Sommer Hall
A Conversation with Donna Shalala - Panel Discussion
"Policy in the Face of Uncertainty: The Critical Role of Epidemiology"
Opening Remarks: Alfred Sommer, MD, MHS '73, Dean Emeritus, Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Ronald Daniels, LLM, JD, President, Johns Hopkins University
- Stephen Gange, PhD, Executive Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Professor of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University
- Joshua Sharfstein, MD, Associate Dean for Public Health Practice and Training, Professor of the Practice, Johns Hopkins University
- Laura Cobb, DrPH '15, SM, Senior Technical Advisor, Data for Health Initiative, Union North America
Donna Shalala was the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services under President Clinton from 1993-2001. She also served as president of the University of Miami and currently leads the Clinton Foundation. Her many awards and honors include the Medal of Freedom (awarded by President George W. Bush), the Nelson Mandela Award for Health and Human Rights and the Harry S. Truman Legacy of Leadership Award.
4:00 - 5:00 pm, Feinstone Hall
Department of Epidemiology Centennial Reception
All Department of Epidemiology alumni, students, staff and faculty are invited to attend.