Department of Epidemiology
100 years of Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Be Part of the 100
Department faculty, staff and students will engage in 100 community service events around Baltimore.
Department of Epidemiology Centennial Kick-Off Symposium and Poster Session
The Department officially began its Centennial celebrations with a poster session, panel discussion led by Donna Shalala and a reception.
Centennial Seminar Series
Throughout November 2015, the Department hosted seminars each Friday led by epidemiology and public health experts.
- November 6: David Celentano, ScD, and Shruti Mehta, PhD, presented, "Epidemiology at Johns Hopkins: 100 Years and Counting"
- November 13: Jonathan Samet, MD, presented, "Little Epidemiology vs. Big Tobacco: How Epidemiology Sparked the Beginning of the End of the Tobacco Epidemic."
Following the talk, Dr. Samet will lead a panel discussion: "How Epidemiological Evidence is Translated into Action." Panelists included:
- Sharon Eubanks, JD, lead attorney for the federal litigation, United States vs. Philip Morris
- Joshua Sharfstein, MD Associate Dean for Public Health Practice and Training
- Benjamin Apelberg, PhD, Branch Chief, Center for Tobacco Products, FDA
- Yolonda Richardson, JD, MPH, Executive Vice President, Global Programs, Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids
- November 20: Chris Beyrer, MD, and Patrick Sullivan, PhD, presented, "Bending the Curve: Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV"
Centennial Step Challenge
The Department of Epidemiology Centennial Step Challenge was a great success! The Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research had the highest median number of steps per day: 10,240!
The number of participants from each department, along with the person averaging the highest number of daily steps, are listed below.
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: (20) Christina Vivelo
- Biostatistics: (14) Andrew Leroux
- Center for Teaching and Learning: (11) Wendy Jacklitsch
- Dean's Office: (7) Miye Schakne
- Environmental Health Sciences: (8) Katie Kuhns
- Epidemiology: (66) Anne Nigra
- Health, Behavior & Society: (18) Colleen Synk
- Health Policy & Management: (20) Julie Sorensen
- Information Technology: (27) Laxmi Machavarapu
- International Health: (23) Neff Walker
- Mental Health: (30) Katrina Rodriguez
- Molecular Microbiology & Immunology: (20) Nicole Assumpacao
- Office of External Affairs: (7) Allison Wiles
- Student Affairs: (16) Mike Ward
- Welch Center: (10) Youssef Farag
Centennial 100 Dinners
Join our faculty and alumni for dinners hosted around the world.
Baltimore Running Festival
Forty-eight members and affiliates of the Department participated in the Baltimore Running Festival on October 17, wearing UnderArmour t-shirts designed to celebrate the Centennial: "JHSPH Epidemiology - Running Models Since 1916."
American Journal of Epidemiology Centennial Issue
The American Journal of Epidemiology published a special edition to commemorate the School's Centennial, and includes editorials/commentaries from several Department of Epidemiology faculty.
Epidemiology's Global Reach
"Epidemiology - We've Got the World Covered" is a series of maps and infographics showing where Hopkins epidemiology students come from, where they go after graduation, where Departmental faculty have and are currently working, and research publications involving specific areas of the world. The presentation was displayed on the Wall of Wonder during November 2015.
History of the Department of Epidemiology
A historical look at the Department through photographs, Wikipedia entries, and discussion of landmark papers by Departmental faculty at monthly journal club meetings.