About the Department
The mission of the Department of Epidemiology is to improve the public’s health by training epidemiologists and by advancing knowledge concerning the causes and prevention of disease and the promotion of health.
As the oldest autonomous academic department of epidemiology in the world, the Department of Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health has maintained leadership in fulfilling this mission.
Goals of the Department
- Provide the highest quality education in epidemiology and thus prepare the next generation of epidemiologists
- Advance the science of epidemiology by developing new methods and applications
- Use epidemiologic methods to investigate the etiology of disease in human populations
- Use epidemiologic methods to evaluate health care delivery, prevention and health promotion programs
- Develop methodology for translating epidemiologic research findings into clinical medicine
- Develop approaches for applying the findings of epidemiologic research in the formulation of public policy and to participate in formulating and evaluating the effects of such policy