Apply to the BMB PhD Program
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology only accepts qualified students of the highest caliber with interest in the areas of biochemistry and biology. Visit our PhD program website to learn more about the diverse research training opportunities of the program.
All PhD applicants must submit a completed application through SOPHAS. The Biomedical Sciences in Public Health is an application gateway to the following PhD programs:
- PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- PhD in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
- PhD in Environmental Health Sciences – track in Toxicology, Physiology & Molecular Mechanisms
A single application to the Biomedical Sciences in Public Health allows you to be considered for the aforementioned programs. Under additional questions please select the program(s) to which you wish to be considered for admission. Decisions will be made separately by each program. To find our program track, please use one or more of the following searchable SOPHAS designations:
- Institution: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Degree: PhD
- Program Name: Biomedical Sciences in Public Health
- Program Type: Biomedical Sciences
The final deadline is December 1st.
Candidates for admission to the PhD program will be invited to the department for interviews. Travel expenses will be paid by the department.
For additional information about application materials, please visit our Admissions page.
- Online application
- Official transcripts from EVERY college-level institution you attended (academic records from institutions outside the U.S. must undergo a credentials evaluation).
- (Optional) Standardized test score: The admission committees will make no assumptions if a GRE score is omitted from an application, but inclusion of a good score may improve the application package of a candidate with deficiencies in some areas.
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL or IELTS), if applicable
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
International Applicants are welcome and should review additional instructions for applying from outside the U.S.
All PhD students receive full financial support, which covers tuition, fees, medical insurance and a stipend for living expenses. Graduate students are not required to serve as teaching assistants, although opportunities to teach are available if a student so desires.