Health Systems Practicum
- East Baltimore
- 1st term
- International Health
- Variable Credit
- Academic Year:
- 2022 - 2023
- Instruction Method:
- Auditors Allowed:
- Undergrads Allowed:
- Grading Restriction:
- Course Instructors:
- Ligia Paina
The field placement is an activity in which the student, the placement agency, and the faculty share responsibility for developing work objectives to guide the student's field placement experience.
Complements and reinforces the didactic portion of the MSPH program. Provides students with an opportunity to apply the knowledge gained during the first year, to develop skills in management of health programs in low- and middle-income countries according to individually designed learning objectives, and to work as part of a team in an applied research or practice project. Places students in a variety of professional settings, which may include: government, non-government organizations (NGOs), multi-lateral, private, and/or for-profit sector. Provides opportunity for feedback for student performance and placement experience.
- Learning Objectives:
Upon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Integrate and apply methods and skills learned in courses taken on the first year of the MSPH in a practical setting.
- Develop new skills essential for functioning as an effective global health professional, in assuming responsibility on the ground and becoming a reliable and collaborative member of a project team, an effective communicator, writer, trainer and implementer.
- Evaluate a program or field project as it relates to the management and control of health problems ofpublic health importance in resource poor settings
- Develop a proposal, take initiative, provide direction, and participate in the implementation, evaluation and/or analysis required to establish and achieve project goals.
- Communicate effectively, manage relationships and participate in teams
- To allow for the seamless transition from student to public health professional.
- Methods of Assessment:
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 100% Participation
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required