Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality Integrative Activity
- 4th term
- Online Programs for Applied Learning
- 4 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2021 - 2022
- Instruction Method:
1. Do you want to quantify the problems related to quality and patent safety and propose solutions based on evidence and local culture?
2. High quality medical care is not delivered despite the evidence. Have you wondered how to make it happen and document it for dissemination?
This course will involve the research, analysis and writing of a complete and independent quality and patient safety improvement project. Concepts around the science of quality of medical care, patient safety and measurement will be heavily utilized. No new material will be covered. The finalized project will follow journal article format including an abstract, introduction/background, Literature review, methods, results and conclusion sections. The final project paper will represent an integrated and synthesized assessment of the quality and patient safety paradigm (Q&PS problem—Evidence—Intervention---assessment) applied to a relevant setting within the healthcare delivery process.
- Learning Objectives:
- Identify and describe the magnitude of a quality and / or patient safety problem in a specific healthcare setting
- Formulate contributing and mitigating factors factors for investigating a quality and patient safety problem
- Conduct a literature review to highlight evidence related key contributing and mitigating factors for the identified quality and patient safety problem
- Propose intervention to address the problem
- Propose an implementation and evaluation plan using feasible and valid measures
- Synthesize and summarize the whole journey from problem identification to proposed solution in a well written scientific paper format
- Methods of Assessment:
Integrative Activity Topic submission draft 1: 5%, Integrative Activity outline draft 1: 15%, Integrative Activity: 30%, Integrative Activity final paper: 50%
- Enrollment Restriction:
Restricted to students in MAS in Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required