Negotiation in Health Care Settings
- Summer Inst. term
- Health Policy and Management
- 3 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2021 - 2022
- Instruction Method:
- Synchronous Online
- Wed 06/02/2021 - Mon 06/07/2021
- Class Times:
- Monday, 9:00am - 5:00pm
Addresses the basic skills needed for effective negotiation of business relationships in health care and other settings. Focuses on understanding and developing a systematic approach to preparing for, structuring, and negotiating key business relationships. Presents basic process and conflict management skills needed for effective negotiation of business relationships in health care. Also explores the ethics of negotiation.
- Learning Objectives:
- Recognize negotiation theory and strategy across two-party and multi-party negotiations.
- Explain conflict management theory and strategy.
- Identify self-awareness of own negotiation behaviors and tendencies.
- Diagnose negotiation situations and apply the appropriate set of strategies.
- Diagnose and continuously adjust negotiation processes.
- Apply ethical and culturally-appropriate negotiation frameworks.
- Methods of Assessment:
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 25% Attendance, participation, and weekly negotiations
- 10% Negotiation planning documents
- 15% Peer observation
- 5% Post-negotiation evaluation
- 20% Self-assessment
- 25% Final Exam
- Enrollment Restriction:
undergraduate students are not permitted in this course
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Special Comments:
This course will be offered synchronously for 3 days, via Zoom. Students are required to complete readings prior to the start of the course. The final assignments will be due no later than August 6, 2021.