Seminar in Humanitarian Health
- East Baltimore
- 2nd term
- International Health
- 0.5 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2021 - 2022
- Instruction Method:
- Hybrid In-person and Synchronous Online
- Class Times:
- Wednesday, 12:00 - 1:20pm
What are the latest trends and issues in humanitarian emergencies?
Can health in emergencies be separated from politics and human rights?
How can we learn from both subject-matter experts and practitioners, and to debate and interact?
Introduces important and evolving issues in global humanitarian health from various perspectives including experts, practitioner, policymakers and academics. Examines trending issues such as new emergencies, politics, human rights, humanitarian architecture, leadership, cash transfers, innovative financing among others. Prepares students to explore practicums, internships, develop capstone projects, and apply to careers in the humanitarian health field.
- Learning Objectives:
- Explain new and evolving concepts, policies, and interventions in humanitarian emergencies and disasters
- Apply concepts, policies and interventions to different contexts and scenarios using current emergencies
- Analyze key issues in humanitarian health including (but not limited to) models in program financing, sector-specific interventions, and solutions for refugees, displaced populations and others affected by crisis.
- Identify key elements of the humanitarian health architecture and important organizations involved in program interventions, policy, and research.
- Critique existing humanitarian interventions and responses at global, regional and national levels.
- Methods of Assessment:
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 30% Participation
- 40% Assignments
- 30% Practicum or capstone topic development
- Enrollment Restriction:
Only students signed up for the MPH Concentration Health in Crisis and Humanitarian Assistance, or the Certificate in Humanitarian Assistance
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Special Comments:
This is the onsite section of a course that is also held virtually/online. You are responsible for the modality in which you register. Meets every other Wednesday except for last class. Dates are 11/04, 11/18, 12/02, 12/16