Healthcare Financial Management
- 1st term
- Health Policy and Management
- 3 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2021 - 2022
- Instruction Method:
Finance is one of the most important aspects of business management and includes decisions related to the use and acquisition of funds for the enterprise. This course introduces financial management and managerial accounting methodologies to gain the capabilities and skills for practicing professional excellence in financial decision-making. Students are intended to learn to apply these techniques to contemporary organizational decisions. The course is interdisciplinary in nature and links to a number of functional business areas, such as quantitative analysis, strategic and operational planning, health economics, and quality management.
Provides managers and professionals, both novice and experienced, with the financially quantitative knowledge needed for planning, controlling and managing in contemporary health care organizations under constantly changing conditions. Provides a foundation in the basic financial management skills as well as their advanced application. Introduces the basic business finance approaches to decision-making and governance. Provides students with a sound conceptual and applied understanding of the role that financial and cost management play in the business setting decision-making process.
- Learning Objectives:
- Discuss the importance and challenges of sound financial management in health care today.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the key principles and techniques of financial management
- Assess the financial health of an organization by reviewing key metrics and reports.
- Identify all factors to consider in a major capital financing project.
- Develop a comprehensive health care business plan supported by a thorough financial analysis.
- Demonstrate effective teamwork skills within a project team culminating in a presentation to the class.
- Methods of Assessment:
Case Studies (3) 60%;
Midterm Examination 20%;
Evaluation by Team Members 10%
- Enrollment Restriction:
undergraduate students are not permitted in this course
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Special Comments:
Students should be proficient in the use of Microsoft excel for analysis and computations.