Communications Primer for the Public Health Sciences
- 3rd term
- Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
- 1 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2020 - 2021
- Instruction Method:
- Asynchronous Online with Some Synchronous Online
Introduction to Online Learning is required prior to participating in any of the School's Internet-based courses.
Acquaints students with the basics of effective oral and written communications in the form of brief exercises.
Focuses on clarity and simplicity in presentation practice across disciplines and cultures to emphasize central messages.
Introduces students to writing succinctly for advocacy using "compelling writers strategies" for opinion pieces and short speeches.
- Learning Objectives:
- Construct visual presentations around simple, clear narratives
- Explain the rationale for important public health topics across disciplines and to the public
- Formulate clear and concise oral and written messages in the form of motivational presentations and opinion pieces
- Methods of Assessment:
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 10% Quizzes
- 30% Presentation(s)
- 30% Written Assignment(s)
- 30% Peer-feedback
- Enrollment Restriction:
MPH and MSPH
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Special Comments:
Students interested in more extensive communications training are advised to enroll in 260.710.60/.81 Communications Practice for Health Science Professionals