Skip Navigation

Course Directory

552.623.81
Principles of Negotiation and Mediation for Public Health Professionals

Cancelled

Location:
Internet
Term:
2nd term
Department:
Extradepartmental
Credits:
0.5 credits
Academic Year:
2019 - 2020
Dates:
Mon 10/28/2019 - Mon 11/18/2019
Auditors Allowed:
No
Grading Restriction:
Pass/Fail
Course Instructor :
  • Susan C. Lynch
Contact:
Susan Lynch
Resources:
Prerequisite:

Introduction to Online Learning is required prior to participating in any of the School's Internet-based courses.

Description:

Examines the theory and principles of negotiation and mediation. Through readings and didactic instruction, explores negotiation and mediation processes, models and techniques. Investigates verbal and nonverbal communication and persuasion as well as other factors that influence successfully negotiated compromises of complex public health issues.

Learning Objectives:

Upon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:

  1. Describe the theories, principles, and models of negotiation and mediation
  2. Explain the art of negotiation and how to explore issue positions, the needs and strategic positions of other parties, and why and how various negotiation strategies and techniques work
  3. Explain strategies in verbal and non-verbal communication and persuasion
  4. Identify and analyze ethical issues in negotiation
Methods of Assessment:

Participation: 20%, Knowledge Check Quizzes: 30% Cumulative Final Exam: 50%

Instructor Consent:

No consent required