Measurement Lab in Quality & Safety
- 4th term
- Online Programs for Applied Learning
- 2 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2019 - 2020
603.731 Measurement and Evaluation in Quality and Safety
How will you know if improvements have been made in the quality and safety of care?
Which performance measures do clinical leaders use to guide their quality improvement efforts?
Health policy decision makers are putting a greater importance on performance measures.
Familiarizes students with different data sources and measurement methods to assess health care quality and patient safety. Data sources include both secondary data, including from administrative claims, medical records, and malpractice claims, and primary data including from cohorts, surveys, direct observation and clinical monitoring. Introduces different methods to measure structure, process and outcome, including both quantitative and qualitative data. Describes methods to analyze these data including techniques related to risk adjustment.
- Learning Objectives:
- Identify common data sources that are used to assess health care quality and patient safety
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of different data sources in assessing health care quality and patient safety
- Recognize when quantitative data or qualitative data may be most appropriate for assessing quality and safety
- Analyze previously collected patient outcome data applying risk adjustment techniques and stratification
- Evaluate the performance measures that acute care clinical departments are using for measuring the impact of quality improvement projects on the quality and safety of patient care
- Propose a set of specified performance measures that can be used in the program’s Integrative Activity for assessing the impact of their own quality improvement project
- Methods of Assessment:
Homework: 25%, Quizzes: 25%, Measure Proposal: 40%; Student Engagement: 10%.
- Enrollment Restriction:
Restricted to students in MAS in Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required