318.864.98 Current Issues in Policy Analysis
- Health Policy and Management
- 2nd term
- 2 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2019 - 2020
- Barcelona, Spain
- Thu 11/14/2019 - Fri 11/15/2019
- Class Times:
- Th F, 8:30am - 6:00pm
The issues to be addressed include a case study examination of the impact of social protection policies on health. The case study to be used will be the 100 million Brazilians cohort survey.
Provides policy researchers with a set of analytical frameworks to gain a greater understanding of policy issues. Explores all aspects of a topical policy issue from its origins, transformations, and impact on health and social justice. Policy topics are determined each year according to faculty interest, student need, and policy saliency. Uses case studies, policy analysis readings, and discussions to foster student learning. Some sessions focus directly on translating policy research into policy alternatives while others focus on the political and social environment.
- Learning Objectives:
- Identify complex problems and recognize priority issues by using a policy analysis lens.
- Cite and explain the key factors that shape the debate on current policy issues
- Demonstrate application of policy literacy
- Identify social, cultural, economic, commercial and institutional factors that promote or hinder the design and implementation of public policies
- Employ policy analysis tools to current public issues to create more meaningful opportunities for change
- Analyze opportunities for action and potential objections to change
- Methods of Assessment:
class participation (20%), paper outline (20%) and final written paper (60%)
- Enrollment Restriction:
interdivisional registration is not permitted for this section.
- Instructor Consent:
Consent required for some students
- Consent Note:
Full-time degree-seeking students must obtain permission from Judy Holzer prior to registering for this course.
- For consent, contact:
- Special Comments:
The issue that will be addressed for this session is the impact of social protection policies on health. This course will be offered for 2 days in Barcelona. Students must physically be in Barcelona to participate. Students are required to complete readings prior to the start of class. Final outline due Dec 6, 2019. Final paper due Dec 20, 2019