Public Health Perspectives On U.S. Drug Policy
- 3rd term
- Health Policy and Management
- 3 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2019 - 2020
Introduction to Online Learning is required prior to participating in any of the School's Internet-based courses.
The U.S. is facing a historically lethal drug epidemic that has shown no signs of abating. Reversals of gains in life expectancy have been attributed in part to the ongoing drug epidemic. Given the public health magnitude of the epidemic, it is imperative that students understand the policy landscape surrounding substance use and addiction. In this course, students will have the opportunity to gain a better understanding of the policy issues affecting the health and wellbeing of people who use substance or are in recovery or treatment for a substance use disorder.
Presents a critical examination of U.S. drug policy through a public health lens. Course topics include: policy mechanisms for reducing drug-related harm; implications of various drug control policies on population health and wellbeing; drug control enforcement and the role of the criminal justice system; stigma and the politics of drug policy; the organization and financing of services for people who use substances, including treatment of substance use disorders; and policies and services targeting special populations.
- Learning Objectives:
- Identify the main policy mechanisms for reducing drug-related harm
- Evaluate the impacts of different U.S. drug policies on public health
- Situate U.S. drug policy in an international context
- Diagnose gaps in and failures of U.S. drug policy in maximizing health
- Propose solutions to addressing U.S. drug policy gaps, failures, and inequalities
- Discriminate the differential effects of U.S. drug policy on vulnerable populations in the U.S.
- Methods of Assessment:
policy memo (30%), review paper (40%), and Livetalk attendance and participation (30%).
- Enrollment Restriction:
Undergraduate students are not permitted in this course
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Jointly Offered With: