221.627.01 Issues in the Reduction of Maternal and Neonatal Mortality in Low Income Countries
- International Health
- 2nd term
- 4 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2019 - 2020
- East Baltimore
- Class Times:
- M W, 3:30 - 5:20pm
Designed so that students understand the clinical and social causes of high maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity. Exposes students to the clinical, program and policy interventions that address these issues, and evaluates the strength of the evidence supporting these interventions. Offers practical exercises for students to: 1.) understand the scope and epidemiology of both maternal and neonatal problems, and 2.) design and assess programmatic responses to address them. Upon completion, students will have the knowledge base to be able to contribute to program and policy responses with an informed perspective to avert maternal and newborn deaths in different contexts.
- Learning Objectives:
- Identify causes of maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity (from a biological, social and health systems perspective)
- Understand the effective elements of antenatal care, essential obstetric care, and post natal/newborn care at facility and community levels
- Critique and present the evidence base supporting different service delivery strategies at the health systems level to improve health of mothers and newborns
- Define and calculate indicators commonly used for baseline assessment, monitoring and evaluation of programs aimed at reducing maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality
- Discuss mechanisms to influence policy, as well as clinical, social and behavior interventions aimed at reducing maternal and newborn mortality
- Methods of Assessment:
Students will be primarily evaluated through two lab exercises (12.5% EACH), one reflection (short essays) (20%), one group project which consists of 1) an outline (10%) and 2) presentation and paper (35%), and class participation (10%).
- Enrollment Restriction:
Restricted to graduate students.
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Jointly Offered With: