410.868.01 Program Planning for Health Behavior Change Practicum
- Health Behavior and Society
- 1st term
- 2 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2019 - 2020
- East Baltimore
- Class Times:
- Friday, 9:00 - 10:20am
Concurrently enrolled in 410.620.
Explores program planning application through project-based experiential learning. Includes work in small groups to apply the PRECEDE-PROCEED needs assessment planning framework in a real world setting with a community-based organization or local government agency. Focuses on the basic methods of working with communities and community organizations, types of needs assessment tools, and the skills needed to develop these tools, through four seminar sessions and weekly sessions with community based organization representatives.
- Learning Objectives:
- Describe the components necessary to work on a community-based project
- Demonstrate the ability to obtain and incorporate feedback from the organization and course faculty to successfully complete deliverables for partner organization
- Complete a planning PRECEDE framework based on a public health problem in Baltimore City
- Explain their attitudes and values about working with communities and developing community partnerships
- Incorporate theoretical constructs into a program planning tool such as a focus group guide
- Develop a data collection tool based on the needs of a community-based organization
- Methods of Assessment:
Participation in class sessions and meetings with community-based organizations
- Enrollment Restriction:
Graduate students only, with instructor consent.
- Instructor Consent:
Consent required for all students
- Consent Note:
Consent required for all students.
- For consent, contact:
- Special Comments:
While this class meets every other week for an hour and a half during the term, students have two meetings at the CBO with a member of the teaching team present, and students work with the CBO representative for up to 6 additional meetings. Students must organize their own transportation when visiting the CBO.