300.600.81 Introduction to Health Policy
- Health Policy and Management
- 1st term
- 4 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2019 - 2020
Introduction to Online Learning is required prior to participating in any of the School's Internet-based courses.
Introduces students to the concepts and tools of health policy. Provides the opportunity to hear healthcare and health policy concerns from others and a chance to apply tools for policy analysis. Introduces skills necessary to be an effective policy analyst/policy advocate. Lecturers illustrate policy issues with examples from many fields of health services ranging from medical care, to current public health issues including the Affordable Care Act and population health, as well as health service delivery improvement efforts.
- Learning Objectives:
- Identify the main health policy issues facing public health leaders
- Use a model of rational decision making to approach to health policy making
- Write a literature synthesis
- Identify policy options and evaluate policy alternatives
- Write effective policy documents
- Differentiate options for communicating policy recommendations
- Methods of Assessment:
Bardach Memo (10 points), Literature Synthesis (30 points), Problem Statement and Outline (5points), and Final Policy Paper (55 points). Participation in Livetalks is expected.
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required