410.630.98 Implementation and Sustainability of Community-Based Health Programs
- Health Behavior and Society
- 2nd term
- 3 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2017 - 2018
- Barcelona, Spain
- Mon 12/04/2017 - Wed 12/06/2017
- Class Times:
- M Tu W, 8:30am - 6:00pm
Uses projects primarily from domestic settings to illustrate and evaluate the program component delivery process and continuation or sustainability of activities and benefits of community-based disease prevention and health promotion programs after initial funding ends. Covers theories of innovation and organizational change; community participation and involvement; programmatic, cost-benefit, and ethical considerations related to the goal of sustainability; program characteristics associated with sustainability; and the relationships between investments in health and overall community development.
- Learning Objectives:
- Describe the fundamental concepts, approaches and limitations of community health programs.
- Describe concepts for the implementation of effective health interventions and discuss the importance of these concepts to health outcomes.
- Demonstrate increased understanding of the types, usages, and importance of evaluation particularly as it relates to program implementation.
- Recognize the indicators of the capacity to maintain health interventions through sustainable programs.
- Through the completion of course assignments, examine, discuss with other students, and apply factors related to the implementation, evaluation, and sustainability of community-based health interventions.
- Methods of Assessment:
Class participation (20%) 2 Lab exercises (25% each); Final reflection paper (30%)
- Enrollment Restriction:
undergraduate and interdivisional students are not permitted in this section
- Instructor Consent:
Consent required for some students
- Consent Note:
Full-time JHU students must obtain permission to register from Judy Holzer in HPM.
- For consent, contact:
- Special Comments:
This course will be offered for 3 days in Barcelona. Students must physically be in Barcelona to participate. Students are required to complete readings prior to the start of the course. The final reflection paper will be due on Dec 19, 2017.