How do I apply to the Brown Scholars Program?
There is no separate application process for the Brown Scholarship. If you are interested in a Brown Scholarship, you must apply to and be accepted to a PhD program at the Bloomberg School. Departments may nominate one candidate annually for the Brown Scholarship.
I want to earn a Master's or Doctor of Public Health degree. Can I become a Brown Scholar?
No. To be considered for a Brown Scholarship, you must be admitted as a full-time student to a departmental Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program at the Bloomberg School.
What’s the application deadline?
The application deadlines for PhD programs vary across departments. Each deadline is available on the school’s website. We recommend strongly that you make every effort to submit your completed application along with all the required supporting documents well before the deadline. Only completed applications can be reviewed, and only then can accepted students be considered for a Brown Scholarship.
What criteria are used to evaluate Brown Scholar nominees?
There are no set criteria such as minimum GRE scores, grade point averages, or letters of recommendation. Successful candidates are able to demonstrate a commitment to community health, strong leadership skills, high quality scholarship.
When will I know if I’ve been accepted as a Brown Scholar?
Doctoral students who are invited to be Brown Scholars will be notified in late-February. Invited students are asked to accept or decline the award by April 1.
What will be expected of me as a Brown Scholar?
All Brown Scholars are expected to:
- Remain continuously enrolled and in good academic standing in their doctoral program
- Participate in all educational activities of the Brown Scholars’ Program
- Maintain residence in the Baltimore geographic area (within 50 miles)
- Actively engage in community activities aligned with the Scholar’s area of study
- Prepare at least one extramural program or research grant (including doctoral research, pilot or student grants internal to JHSPH) for submission during tenure as a doctoral student.
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Please contact the Brown Scholars Faculty Director, Dr. Terri Powell.