Maternal and Child Health
Upon completion of the core courses of the Maternal and Child Health Certificate, individuals will gain a broad understanding of the field that focuses on the health and welfare of women and children. Competencies addressed include the following:
- Understanding of the biological, social, and behavioral basis for a MCH program
- Knowledge of the historical development of the field of MCH
- Knowledge of significant past and current national legislative mandates relative to MCH, including the structure and roles of legislative and administrative bodies at the national, state, and local levels
- Ability to define and describe the MCH population in a community
- Understanding of the normal patterns of human growth and development
- Knowledge of the organization and financing of health systems in the U.S.
- Understanding of the design, implementation and evaluation of MCH programs domestically and internationally
- Ability to identify essential gaps in existing programs serving mothers and children
Course of Study
Students should review the certificate program page on the JHU e-catalogue site for full information about program requirements and courses.
The certificate program is open to graduate students currently enrolled in any division of The Johns Hopkins University, with the exception of JHSPH MAS students, who are not eligible to apply until they have completed their primary degree program. Individuals who are not currently enrolled in a degree program at Johns Hopkins University are eligible to apply.
Applying to the certificate program as a JHU graduate student
Students already enrolled in a graduate program at JHU are not required to submit the School's electronic admissions application, but must email Certificate Program Contact prior to starting coursework.
Start terms: It is possible to begin the certificate program only in these terms: Summer, 1, 2, 3, & 4.
Applying to the certificate program as a non-degree student
Students who are not currently enrolled in a graduate program at JHU are required to apply to certificate programs using SOPHAS Express. All non-degree applicants should review the general Certificates Admissions page for instructions on how to apply to a certificate program and application deadlines.
Start terms: It is possible to begin the certificate program only in these terms: 1,2,3, & 4.
TOEFL/IELTS: Not required.
Prerequisites or special requirements: None
Requirements for Successful Completion
The student should review the section of the website that addresses completion before completing certificate program requirements. The student's transcript will not indicate that the certificate was earned until the Notification of Completion has been submitted and verified by the certificate program and processed by the Registrar.
Certificate Program Contact
Name: Gilbert Morgan
Name Cynthia Minkovitz