Health Finance and Management
The goal of this certificate program is to facilitate the development of knowledge and skills in the areas of management, finance and leadership within healthcare. The primary focus of the program is the U.S. health system. This certificate program can be completed online.
The intended audience includes current degree students in the Bloomberg School of Public Health who are interested in health management and finance issues. MPH students enrolled in the Management and Leadership concentration and JHSPH MAS degree students are not eligible to apply. Non-degree students who want to focus exclusively on current topics in health services management and finance are encouraged to apply for the certificate program. Please note: for non-degree students, applications must reflect a first or third term start date.
Upon completion of the certificate program in Health Finance and Management, students will be able to:
- Describe the organization and primary financial systems of the U.S. healthcare delivery system
- Describe current key policy and programmatic health care payment methodologies, and the impact of evolving value-based models.
- Describe and apply key models (e.g. ACO) to optimize health care organization and delivery.
- Evaluate various models of management and leadership, and leadership traits and characteristics necessary to meet the needs of complex and collaborative health care delivery systems.
- Discuss challenges and opportunities related to the use and integration of data, data-gathering, and other aspects of health care information systems to improve efficiency and effectiveness within the health care delivery system.
Course of Study
Students should carefully review the certificate program page on the JHU e-catalogue for full information about program requirements and courses.
Applying to the certificate program as a JHU graduate student
Students already enrolled in a graduate program at JHU are not required to submit the School's electronic admissions application, but applicants must submit declaration of intent prior to starting coursework.
Priority deadline to submit intent is October 1; final deadline to submit intent is December 1.
MPH Management and Leadership students are ineligible for this program.
Start terms: It is possible to begin the certificate program only in these terms: 1, 2, & 3.
Applying to the certificate program as a non-degree student
Students who are not currently enrolled in a graduate program at JHU are required to apply to certificate programs using SOPHAS Express. All non-degree applicants should review the general Certificates Admissions page for instructions on how to apply to a certificate program and application deadlines.
Start terms: It is possible to begin the certificate program only in these terms: 1 & 3
TOEFL/IELTS: Not required.
Prerequisites or special requirements: None
Requirements for Successful Completion
The student should review the section of the website that addresses completion before completing certificate program requirements.The student's transcript will not indicate that the certificate was earned until the Notification of Completion has been submitted, verified by the certificate program and processed by the Registrar.
Health Policy and Management
Name Mark Bittle