Today, the United States is facing a serious epidemic. Recent nationwide surveys reveal that 66 percent of adults have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or greater, classifying them as either "overweight" or "obese." Unfortunately, this epidemic is not only effecting adults. We are now seeing increasing numbers of overweight children and teens.
As the weight of Americans rises, so do the secondary risks associated with obesity. These risks include cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. The number one goal of the health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center is to help you improve your health. Contacting us today will enable us to start you off on the right foot for tomorrow, for a journey that will last a lifetime.
What makes the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center (JHWMC) unique?
People gain weight for different reasons. The programs at the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center take into account the differences between individuals. Each weight management program starts with careful, individualized assessments performed by the expert members of our multidisciplinary team.
Successful weight loss and long-term weight maintenance is achieved through changes in diet, eating-related behaviors and physical activity. Our team of physicians, dietitians, psychology staff and an exercise physiologist will tailor a program to meet your individual weight loss goals.
- Medical assessment and medical supervision of weight loss
- Measurements of metabolism
- Measurements of body composition
- Fitness testing
- Individualized exercise programs
- Personal training
- Individual and/or group behavior sessions
- Individual psychotherapy
- A variety of nutritional plans including meal replacement options
- Nutrition education
- Long-term weight maintenance and relapse prevention programs
- Services for people with medical needs
- Prescribed medications for weight control
How do I get started?
- Call (410) 502-0145 to request a consultation with a JHWMC staff member to discuss treatment options. The Center is open Mondays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Wednesdays, 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; and Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Once a treatment option has been chosen, assessments will be scheduled with each clinician on the multidisciplinary team for a thorough evaluation.
Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center
550 North Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21205