November 17, 2010 (Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD)
Dina L. G. Borzekowski, Ed.D., Ed.M., M.A.
Associate Professor, Department of Health, Behavior and Society
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Rebecka Peebles, MD
Assistant Professor, The Craig-Dalsimer Division of Adolescent Medicine
The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
In this presentation, Dr. Borzekowski discusses:
- The messages of pro-eating disorder websites to which users may be exposed;
- Common website themes such as success, control, and perfection;
- Features associated with perceived harm.
Dr. Peebles’ presentation discusses:
- Adolescent use of the web to access health information;
- Impact and prevalence of pro-eating disorder websites;
- Profile of users of pro-eating disorder websites and pro-recovery sites;
- Ethical and regulatory issues.