Faculty Training and Development
The Center has offered training for faculty in the Schools of Public Health, Medicine and Nursing. The two-year period of training support provided mentoring in five core research areas:
- Cardiovascular Epidemiology
- Health Services Research
- Behavioral Sciences
- Health Disparities
- Community-Based Participatory Research
Each faculty fellow received salary support for two years. Junior faculty members received $10,000/year and senior faculty members received $15,000/year.
Our faculty fellows have all gone on to be awarded prestigious grants for their own health disparities research projects.
Past fellows have been involved in diverse projects. Publications and presentations that our fellows have to their credit include:
- Greer RC, Cooper LA, Crews DC, Powe NR, Boulware LE. Quality of patient-physician discussions about CKD in primary care: a cross-sectional study. Am J Kidney Dis 2011; Apr;57(4):583-91. Epub2010 Dec 4. PMID: 21131116.
- Bleich SN, Bennett WL, Gudzune KA, Cooper LA. National survey of US primary care physicians' perspectives about causes of obesity and solutions to improve care. BMJ Open 2012; Dec 20;2(6). PMID: 23257776; PMCID: PMC3533040.
- Aboumatar HJ, Carson KA, Beach MD, Roter DL, Cooper LA. The Impact of Health Literacy on Desire for Participation in Healthcare, Medical Visit Communication, and Patient Reported Outcomes among Patients with Hypertension. J Gen Intern Med 2013; 28(11): 1469-76. PMID: 23690237.