Events In Health Disparities
April 2014 Conferences and Events
National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparitites
- Health Disparitites: The Issue is Justice
- April 17, 2014: 3:00pm- 4:30pm
- The April Seminar presentation will focus on health disparities from a social justice perspective in honor of National Minority Health Month. In her presentation, Dr. Paula Braveman will provide an overview of the concept of health disparities and a conceptual framework for thinking about how disparities are created, exacerbated, and perpetuated across lifetimes and generations.
- Dr. Paula Braveman, MD, MPH: Professor of Family and Community Medicine and Director of the Center on Social Disparities in Health at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
- Bethesda, MD (NIH Campus)
Johns Hopkins University Urban Health Institute
- 3rd Annual Social Determinants of health Symposium: Squandered Resources:Incarceration -- It's Consequences, Costs, and Alternatives
- April 28, 2014: 8:00am- 6:30pm
- Baltimore's future holds infinite promise, yet too often the city's best assets are silenced by the policies and practices of our criminal justice system. The Third Annual Symposium on the Social Determinants of Health, Squandered Resources: Incarceration-Its Consequences, Costs and Alternatives, will bring together experts from the academic community in Baltimore and across the country together with local community leaders to tackle this pressing issue and work toward ensuring healthier, safer lives for Baltimore's youth today and tomorrow. The symposium will feature panels of leading experts in the fields of public policy, economics, and social science, ex-offenders and a special panel of community organizers working to improve the livelihoods of both ex-offenders and their communities. Speakers will represent a diverse range of expertise.
- Baltimore, MD