Center News Archive
Research from the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research is often covered by local, national, and international media. Media also frequently call upon the Center for our expertise on gun policy issues, including, but not limited to: gun trafficking, domestic violence and guns, access to guns among high-risk groups, and legal topics.
This page provides examples of how our research generates news, in addition to articles in which our faculty and staff are quoted.
For press inquiries, please contact the Center's Director of Communications, Alicia Samuels: email@example.com or (914) 720-4635.
- Des Moines Register: Editorial: Visit Missouri, but be prepared to duck
- USA Today: Rising gun violence fuels crime surges in many cities, FBI says
- The Tennessean: Vanderbilt grad student invited to White House to talk gun reform
- Associated Press: Police release details after employee kills 2 supervisors
- Politico: AMA surveys docs on digital health
- Washington Post: She has lost four sons to gun violence. No one has gone to prison. Do these black lives matter?
- Daily Beast: Accused Seattle Shooter Loved Guns and Serial Killers
- New York Daily News: 'Disgruntled' Houston lawyer wearing Nazi uniform opens fire at strip mall; nine injured, suspect shot dead by police
- Washington Post: In America, gun rights are for whites only
- New York Times: Wife of Keith Scott, Charlotte Shooting Victim, Filmed Police Encounter
- People Magazine: How Alison Parker's Parents Are Fighting to End Gun Violence 1 Year After Her Death on Live TV
- Crain’s Chicago: Emanuel on Chicago violence: 'This fight belongs to all of us'
- USA Today: 3% of Americans own half the country's 265 million guns
- Christian Science Monitor: Who are America's gun 'super-owners'?
- New York Times: Man Is Shot in Charlotte as Unrest Stretches to Second Night
- Bustle: Do Guns Protect Women? They're More Likely To Kill Them, Says Violence Policy Center Report & The Findings Aren't New
- Orlando Sentinel: Pulse families, survivors call for Congressional action on military-style rifles
- NPR: Chicago Mayor To Address Effort To Reduce Gun Violence
- American Bar Association: Addressing Gun Violence: A Law and Public Health Approach
- Quartz: Missouri’s new gun law is part of a terrifying trend that will put black Americans in even more danger
- Washington Blade: Symposium focuses on anti-LGBT violence
- The Hill: Swing-state Republicans play up efforts for gun control laws
- Think Progress: One group fights to make gun violence and LGBT rights top issues after Orlando shooting
- The Trace: Meet America's Gun Super-Owners – With an Average of 17 Firearms Each
- Baltimore Sun: Bill seeks to ban replica guns in Baltimore
- Bloomberg News: Gunmakers finally face their suicide problem
- Miami Herald: After Pulse, gun reform shapes U.S. Senate contest between Rubio, Murphy
- The Missourian: GEORGE KENNEDY-- Veto overrides are ill-advised, even dangerous
- The Trace: Why a New Survey From Harvard and Northeastern Is the Most Authoritative Assessment of American Gun Ownership in 2 Years
- Baltimore Sun: More gun carnage
- Baltimore Sun: Baltimore awash in guns
- Baltimore Sun: A back-to-school resolution
- San Francisco Chronicle: California first to fund gun violence research
- Politifact: Paul Ryan: If someone "on a terror watch list" tries to buy a gun, authorities are notified
- Los Angeles Times: One of the few attorneys to force a gun maker out of business reflects on his case and the American firearms culture
- The Trace: 10 Essential Facts About Guns and Suicide
- The Trace: Laws That Allow for Temporarily Removing Guns from High-Risk People Linked to a Reduction in Suicides
- Kansas City Star: Missouri legislators should sustain veto of dangerous gun bill
- Atlanta Journal Constitution: Guns a motivator for both Trump, Clinton voters in Georgia
- Bill Moyers: The Cult of Guns in America
- Washington Post: For Diamond Reynolds, trying to move past 10 tragic minutes of video
- The Economist: Applied research: A university tries to take on the social problems that surround it
- Indianapolis Business Journal: Gun store argues no liability for straw sale linked to officer’s shooting
- WSJ: Texas Sues County for Banning Guns from Courthouse
- New York Times: Chicago Has Its Deadliest Month in About Two Decades
- New York Magazine: What a New Gun-Control Study Can — And Can’t — Tell Us About Mass Shootings
- Los Angeles Times: It's been 20 years since Australia had a mass shooting. How much of the credit goes to gun control?
- USA Today: Fatal mass shootings in Australia down to zero after gun law reforms
- Yahoo! News: Australian gun deaths slashed since 1996
- Sidney Morning Herald: The rate of all suicides and homicides in Australia has declined since the gun buyback
- Washington Post: What happened when Australia actually did something to stop gun violence
- The Guardian: Australia's gun laws stopped mass shootings and reduced homicides, study finds
- HealthDay: Australia's Gun Laws Silence Mass Shooters
- NBC: No Mass Shootings in Australia in 20 Years: How Did They Do It?
- The Guardian: Australia's successful gun reforms could inform US policies, researchers say
- Baltimore Sun: Study of Australia's gun laws may provide example in United States
- Wall Street Journal: Mass Shootings in Australia Ceased After Gun Laws Tightened, Study Finds
- CNN: Australia's mass shootings dropped to zero after gun reforms
- Times of Israel: In the wake of Orlando, rabbis call for action, not prayer, against gun violence
- CBS News: America's rifle": The marketing of assault-style weapons
- MTV News: How Do We Talk About Guns After A Mass Shooting?
- NBC News: 'No Fly, No Buy' Has Political Momentum, But May Have Little Impact
- Christian Science Monitor: What the Orlando shooting means for a federal assault-weapons ban
- Vox: Why we can't ignore the connection between gun violence and domestic violence
- New Yorker: Terror Begins at Home
- Huffington Post: Orlando Shooter’s Domestic Abuse History Should Have Been A Warning Sign
- Seeker.com: Will 'No Fly, No Buy' Make a Difference?
- SiriusXM Potus: Politics Inside Out with Chris Frates and Mark Preston
- Vox: The biggest questions about gun violence that researchers would still like to see answered
- Christian Science Monitor: What's 'good cause' to carry a concealed gun?
- Los Angeles Times: The AR-15-style rifle: a popular seller tainted by mass murder
- Politifact: Hilary Clinton criticizes Fla. gun laws after Orlando mass shooting
- Voice of America: Mental illness Not a factor in Most US Gun Violence, Study Finds
- The Trace: Bans on High-Capacity Magazines, Not Assault Rifles, Most Likely to Limit Mass Shooting Carnage
- Good: Breaking Down the Myth Of Guns and Mental Illness
- USA Today: Ban Assault Weapons Now– Our View
- The Atlantic: Untangling Gun Violence from Mental Illness
- The Trace: Five Low-Tech Ways Manufacturers Can Make Guns Safer
- Kansas City Star: Missouri gun bill would allow concealed carry without training, creates a 'stand your ground' law
- Teen Vogue: 5 Things That Are Harder to Get in America Than a Gun
- Christian Science Monitor: What is Detroit Doing to Address Child Shootings?
*The Journal of Urban Health has published an Erratum to: “Effects of the Repeal of Missouri’s Handgun Purchaser Licensing Law on Homicides” by Daniel W. Webster, Cassandra Kercher Crifasi, and Jon S. Vernick. The corrected data are very similar to, but are more accurate than, the findings previously published. EurekAlert has corrected the press release, which can be accessed here.
- Nature: Firearms research: The gun fighter
- The Daily Beast: The Gun Rights Revolution You Might Have Missed
- Riverfront Times: Adolphus Busch IV Quits NRA; Slams Gun Rights Organization for "Distorted Values"
- U.S. News & World Report: Ambitious Democrats Have Mixed Record on Gun Control Success
- Reuters: Analysis: Senate vote shows gun-control advocates the size of challenge
- NBC News: Rubio voices opposition to gun-control measures
- Financial Times: Gun bill in balance amid Senate resistance
- Dallas Morning News: Second Amendment debate carries on in Texas House
- Washington Post: Experts grade the Senate gun bill: 'A step forward, but a small step.'
- CNN: Why is this so hard? The disconnect on background checks and guns
- Washington Post: Why expanding background checks would, in fact, reduce gun crime
- NBC: Guns in schools? Some officials say, 'Yes!'
- New York Times: Loopholes in Gun Laws Allow Buyers to Skirt Checks
- CNN Roundup: Why we're still debating guns
- MSNBC: Report: States with weaker gun laws have more gun violence. No brainer? Or politics as usual?
- NJ Spotlight: Do Gun Buybacks Reduce Gun Violence?
- Clinical Psychiatry News: Public policy: Where are the psychiatrists?
- Baltimore Sun: Maryland House passes gun-control bill
- ABC2 News: Senate concurs with House version of gun bill
- Spokesman-Review Editorial: Legislature bends to will of gun lobby, not public's
- New York Times: The Damage Wrought by the Gun Lobby
- New York Times: Psychiatrist Reported Suspect in Theater Shooting as Threat
- Associated Press: Few states find narrow route to gun control laws
- Wall Street Journal: Pro-Gun Laws Gain Ground
- LA Times: States move quickly, divergently on gun laws
- Politifact: Mayor Rahm Emanuel says Chicago takes more guns off the streets than New York or L.A.
- Associated Press: New Jersey boy, 6, accidentally shot by 4-year-old neighbor, police say
- NPR: Back From Recess, Congress Preps For Gun Legislation Fight
- ABC News: CDC Ban on Gun Research Caused Lasting Damage
- Washington Post: Michael Bloomberg group's gun-control scorecard will give lawmakers letter grades
- Washington Post: Biden: gun control opponents spreading 'disinformation'
- UPI: Obama: $30 million for gun research
- CNN Poll: Importance of guns soars, as do gun owner concerns