Center News Archive
Research from the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research is often covered by local, national, and international media. Media also frequently call upon the Center for our expertise on gun policy issues, including, but not limited to: gun trafficking, domestic violence and guns, access to guns among high-risk groups, and legal topics.
This page provides examples of how our research generates news, in addition to articles in which our faculty and staff are quoted.
For press inquiries, please contact the Center's Director of Communications, Alicia Samuels: email@example.com or (914) 720-4635.
- Times of Israel: In the wake of Orlando, rabbis call for action, not prayer, against gun violence
- CBS News: America's rifle": The marketing of assault-style weapons
- MTV News: How Do We Talk About Guns After A Mass Shooting?
- NBC News: 'No Fly, No Buy' Has Political Momentum, But May Have Little Impact
- Christian Science Monitor: What the Orlando shooting means for a federal assault-weapons ban
- Vox: Why we can't ignore the connection between gun violence and domestic violence
- New Yorker: Terror Begins at Home
- Huffington Post: Orlando Shooter’s Domestic Abuse History Should Have Been A Warning Sign
- Seeker.com: Will 'No Fly, No Buy' Make a Difference?
- SiriusXM Potus: Politics Inside Out with Chris Frates and Mark Preston
- Vox: The biggest questions about gun violence that researchers would still like to see answered
- Christian Science Monitor: What's 'good cause' to carry a concealed gun?
- Los Angeles Times: The AR-15-style rifle: a popular seller tainted by mass murder
- Politifact: Hilary Clinton criticizes Fla. gun laws after Orlando mass shooting
- Voice of America: Mental illness Not a factor in Most US Gun Violence, Study Finds
- The Trace: Bans on High-Capacity Magazines, Not Assault Rifles, Most Likely to Limit Mass Shooting Carnage
- Good: Breaking Down the Myth Of Guns and Mental Illness
- USA Today: Ban Assault Weapons Now– Our View
- The Atlantic: Untangling Gun Violence from Mental Illness
- The Trace: Five Low-Tech Ways Manufacturers Can Make Guns Safer
- Kansas City Star: Missouri gun bill would allow concealed carry without training, creates a 'stand your ground' law
- Teen Vogue: 5 Things That Are Harder to Get in America Than a Gun
- Christian Science Monitor: What is Detroit Doing to Address Child Shootings?
* The Journal of Urban Health has published an Erratum to: “Effects of the Repeal of Missouri’s Handgun Purchaser Licensing Law on Homicides” by Daniel W. Webster, Cassandra Kercher Crifasi, and Jon S. Vernick. The corrected data are very similar to, but are more accurate than, the findings previously published. EurekAlert has corrected the press release, which can be accessed here.
- Nature: Firearms research: The gun fighter
- The Daily Beast: The Gun Rights Revolution You Might Have Missed
- Riverfront Times: Adolphus Busch IV Quits NRA; Slams Gun Rights Organization for "Distorted Values"
- U.S. News & World Report: Ambitious Democrats Have Mixed Record on Gun Control Success
- Reuters: Analysis: Senate vote shows gun-control advocates the size of challenge
- NBC News: Rubio voices opposition to gun-control measures
- Financial Times: Gun bill in balance amid Senate resistance
- Dallas Morning News: Second Amendment debate carries on in Texas House
- Washington Post: Experts grade the Senate gun bill: 'A step forward, but a small step.'
- CNN: Why is this so hard? The disconnect on background checks and guns
- Washington Post: Why expanding background checks would, in fact, reduce gun crime
- NBC: Guns in schools? Some officials say, 'Yes!'
- New York Times: Loopholes in Gun Laws Allow Buyers to Skirt Checks
- CNN Roundup: Why we're still debating guns
- MSNBC: Report: States with weaker gun laws have more gun violence. No brainer? Or politics as usual?
- NJ Spotlight: Do Gun Buybacks Reduce Gun Violence?
- Clinical Psychiatry News: Public policy: Where are the psychiatrists?
- Baltimore Sun: Maryland House passes gun-control bill
- ABC2 News: Senate concurs with House version of gun bill
- Spokesman-Review Editorial: Legislature bends to will of gun lobby, not public's
- New York Times: The Damage Wrought by the Gun Lobby
- New York Times: Psychiatrist Reported Suspect in Theater Shooting as Threat
- Associated Press: Few states find narrow route to gun control laws
- Wall Street Journal: Pro-Gun Laws Gain Ground
- LA Times: States move quickly, divergently on gun laws
- Politifact: Mayor Rahm Emanuel says Chicago takes more guns off the streets than New York or L.A.
- Associated Press: New Jersey boy, 6, accidentally shot by 4-year-old neighbor, police say
- NPR: Back From Recess, Congress Preps For Gun Legislation Fight
- ABC News: CDC Ban on Gun Research Caused Lasting Damage
- Washington Post: Michael Bloomberg group's gun-control scorecard will give lawmakers letter grades
- Washington Post: Biden: gun control opponents spreading 'disinformation'
- UPI: Obama: $30 million for gun research
- CNN Poll: Importance of guns soars, as do gun owner concerns