The Johns Hopkins Center for STD Research, Prevention and Training grew out of the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions' (JHMI) leadership in the field of STD control and prevention. Past contributions include the establishment in 1914 of Department L, one of the first dedicated syphilis clinics in the United States; development of the Treponema pallidum immobilization (TPI) test; early studies of penicillin therapy for syphilis and gonorrhea; and the development of the HeLa cell line from a patient with cervical carcinoma. Following World War II, interest in STD research declined along with STD prevalence, in part due to widespread availability of penicillin. In the 1980s, faculty were recruited to reestablish the STD clinical research program.
Today, the Johns Hopkins Center for STD Research, Prevention and Training coordinates multiple facets of STD research at JHMI, from basic science to clinical, epidemiological and behavioral research. Clinical faculty practice at the Johns Hopkins Center for Reproductive Tract Infections and at the Baltimore City Health Department (BCHD) STD Control Program. Many research projects are conducted as part of ongoing relationships with these clinical care centers. Descriptions and links to the research projects of Center faculty can be found here. Recent presentations and posters from conferences are available online. Additional academic and funding opportunities are available for students.