The 6,567sq ft. 30 bed inpatient isolation unit is located at 301 Mason Lord Drive, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center campus, 3.5 miles from Hampton House. This self-contained dormitory-like unit is staffed by nurses 24 hours a day and is ideally suited for conducting studies with college students and community volunteers. In addition to the examination room, nurses' station, and sleeping areas for volunteers, the unit contains a laboratory area including refrigerator/freezer and HEPA filtered biosafety cabinet, specimen collection and processing, a study recreation area, a lounge, a well-equipped kitchen, a large dining area, and a laundry room with a washer and dryer.
Since the unit has a self-contained ventilation system with a HEPA filtered exhaust, the CIR can conduct studies with infectious agents, under conditions of strict isolation or quarantine. A study physician makes rounds daily and is on call 24 hours a day. If necessary, s/he spends the night on the unit to take care of volunteers who are ill. If needed, consultations or medical care are available at Johns Hopkins Bayview Hospital.
Here is a link to a map of the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center campus.
Here is a link to the MTA Local, Express, and Neighborhood Bus Schedule.
- Take I-295 north to the Harbor Tunnel Thruway (I-895).
- After exiting the tunnel, take exit 12, Lombard Street. At the first stop light, proceed straight onto Bayview Boulevard.
- Take I-95 through the Fort McHenry Tunnel to exit 59 (Eastern Avenue).
- Turn left onto Eastern Avenue and proceed approximately 1 mile to Bayview Boulevard on the right.
- Take I-95 south to exit 59 (Eastern Avenue).
- Turn right onto Eastern Avenue (west) and proceed approximately 1 mile to Bayview Boulevard on the right.
- Take I-895 south to exit 12, Lombard Street.
- At the first stop light, turn right onto Bayview Boulevard.