Because so much time is spent running from class to class and study session to study session, knowing where to eat on-campus is very important. Even in the midst of so many of the unhealthy food options there are some healthy choices one can make.
Here are a couple of things to think about when trying to make healthy food choices at the on-campus dining facilities:
Be careful of fried foods
- Choose baked items instead of high-fat fried foods.
Watch portion size
Choose low-fat protein options
- If chicken or fish are available, choose them over pork and beef.
Beware of the salad bar
- This may appear to be a healthy option, but the salad dressing can turn a healthy meal into a very highfat meal.
Hold the mayo
- When making a sandwich, limit the amount of mayonnaise to cut down on the fat.
Choose low-fat or non-fat dairy items
Make health beverage choices
- Choose 100% fruit juices or water instead of sodas.