1212 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21213
PHONE: (410) 327-7383 x 102
CONTACT: Nicole A. Johnson
Sr. Director, East Baltimore Education Initiative
Function of Organization/Site:
Elev8 Baltimore is a program of the East Baltimore Development Inc. (EBDI), an innovative public-private partnership established in 2002 to facilitate one of the most comprehensive, groundbreaking community redevelopment efforts in America. EBDI and its partners- including the City of Baltimore, the State of Maryland, the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Johns Hopkins Institutions, the Baltimore Community Foundation, the Goldseker Foundation, and others - are committed to transforming neighborhood life by expanding housing, economic, health and educational resources and opportunities available to children, youth, families and other residents.
Services and Programs:
Elev8 Baltimore provides each school with the resources to:
- Offer out-of-school-time enrichment activities before school, after school, on weekends and during the summer months, all designed to link with middle grade curricula and instruction, increase student engagement and connect young people to positive adult role models.
- Connect students with high-quality mentoring programs through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Maryland.
- Expand on-site health services; manage chronic health conditions; and provide immunizations, family planning, dental, vision and mental health services.
- Implement a health education curriculum that connects to classroom instruction and out-of-school-time learning.
- Provide healthy activities, such as extracurricular sports programs, visual and performing arts, and nutrition programs.
- Promote a positive school climate to improve social and peer relationships and interactions, including the creation of a safe space for peer-to-peer mental health prevention strategies.
- Expand mental health prevention programming and individual and group counseling support.
- Increase parent access to family income supports; opportunities for workforce development; financial literacy; housing stability; and engagement in schools.
- Create a safe environment for ongoing parent and family engagement; parent education workshops and trainings; and development of parent volunteers, leaders and advocates.
- Each Elev8 Baltimore school is assigned a site manager and a family advocate responsible for collaborating with the principal and staff; building relationships with students and families; responding to the needs of students, parents and school staff; promoting the integration of learning, health and family support strategy; and developing a family engagement plan to facilitate connections among families, the school and the broader community.